How do I Handle This?

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi,
Didn't know if I should start a new thread but decided it might be best Took the box out of the Frame, but when I removed the box I did notice rust on the inside of the left side crossbar where the screw that attaches to the box. I do want to say that the outside of that part where screw enters is solid and both the box , outside and inside at that point are solid. Can't use the Encapsulator due to the high heat. Here is what I was thinking of doing. Try to remove crud from inside the tube, use high heat primer, 2 coats then 2 coats high heat black. When dry spray inside the hole with Fluid Film, then re-attach the box after painting. Any other suggestions that would be helpful.
9Q5yRJr.jpg

Dan is right. The best way is to replace that bar entirely. But, if you don't want to go through that trouble, I am guessing you could simply clean it up and do what you listed and it would last another ten years. That bar doesn't support the weight of the cook box at all, it is just to keep it stable side to side.

I agree replacing complete bar best solution, but too much for me. I bought a flat bar at Lowe's. It has 4 holes. I was planning to use a couple layers of quality aluminum tape to cover the hole after painting. Then I was going to use one of the 4 holes to run the bolt through and use the other three with metal screws to help support the frame... The grill will probably last longer than I want to grill:).......Here is the incomplete set up only with primer.....George
Rt0IU5j.jpg

That might work for you George, however, it will move the cook box to the right little bit. There is usually a little wiggle room, but you might find the box butting up to the control panel on the right side.

Would that b ok if it is a tight fit?
Ps. Oh yes I received the 9mm grates for the E330 and they r heavy. I applied a magnet from the fridge and there was an ever so slight field, but no sticking whatsoever. I found a few places that could cut them but length would need a crossbar welded back on. Not worth it. Mayb I should keep both grills since the Silver only cost me $35

I agree replacing complete bar best solution, but too much for me. I bought a flat bar at Lowe's. It has 4 holes. I was planning to use a couple layers of quality aluminum tape to cover the hole after painting. Then I was going to use one of the 4 holes to run the bolt through and use the other three with metal screws to help support the frame... The grill will probably last longer than I want to grill:).......Here is the incomplete set up only with primer.....George
Rt0IU5j.jpg

I did something similar with one of my restorations. I used a piece of angle aluminum. It was a little thinner and I had no issues with the firebox.

Without screwing the bar in other than the bolt will have to try tomorrow re: the fit. I guess ok if control panel cover is tight against the box?

Just clean it up best you can and treat it with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. Get the long nozzle and shoot the stuff inside the tube and also spray the outside of it. Use a stainless steel bolt and hardware and it will be fine for your lifetime. I did it long ago on my old Genesis 2 and it's still holding up

Hi,
Is that encapsulator high heat resistant? Are you saying to do this in place of the metal bar? I would have to drive 40+ moles to get the encapsulator, but I do have Fluid Film at home. Can I just spray it into the opening all around inside? In other words, don't tape, don't use the cross bar? I am not sure what to do. Thanks George

They sell a heat resistant one. But honestly once it has done it's work it turns any remaining rust into a ceramic like material (don't ask me how) and it's hard as a rocck

They sell a heat resistant one. But honestly once it has done it's work it turns any remaining rust into a ceramic like material (don't ask me how) and it's hard as a rock

It sure does do that. Messy to work with, but I did some parts from a Silver A abused by our high humidity. The edges of the cabinetry were rusted, of course, and felt really flimsy & ready to break off. After the Eastwood stuff dried, the metal left feels rock solid, like ceramic as you say.

I have seen you mention before, and it is worth repeating, that this stuff can't replace metal that is rusted away, but it sure can reinforce and strengthen what is still remaining.

Jon,
Can you post a link to the exact Eastwood stuff that you used? I bought a can of the Eastwood, and basically it was no different than a primer in my opinion. I think I had the wrong product, but I was sure it was the RUST ENCAPSULATER.

It does go on like a primer and looks like one as it is being applied and can substitute for one as well. But when it cures trust me it ain't no primer

Did you shake it enough? The stuff has so much solids in it you need to shake it until you think your arm will fall off than switch arms and do it again. The stuff hardens up like concrete. I have some on my garage floor that dripped out from my car when I did it about 3 years ago and I can't even chisel it off

Hi
I was ready to drive the one hour on crowded roads to the Eastwood Store in Pottstown, Pa. to check if it was in stock. I got talking to the person, and explained my reason for using it. They responded with a do not use it, because the heat will cause fumes which would be toxic to the surrounding area. I told them I wasn't putting it on the meat just on the frame. They said again do not use it on a part that butts up against a high heat source....Saved me a trip to Pottstown. Whether they knew what they were talking about, you got me????So I decided to go with the 2 layers of Aluminum tape and the cross bar, after spraying 3 coats of high heat primer, and 3 coats of high heat Rusto. I will also spray inside the hole with Fluid Film. I called them and explained and the tech dept. said it is ok to spray inside the tubing, no need to spray the outside where the hole is....George

Even if it did produce fumes they would only be for a short while. Once the stuff is cured there would be nothing left to "off gas" heat or not

Back