2002 Genesis Silver "C" Restoration Started

Chris Bond

I have been looking to pick up a gas grill for a while now, and while I originally was looking at the newer model Spirit and Genesis models, browsing this forum recently has given me an appreciation for the older model Weber grills and the various restoration threads here are a really good information resource for tackling this type of project. I was lucky enough to recently connect with a Craigslist seller for a 2002 Genesis Silver "C" model for $75, which also came with one LP tank and grill cover.

I'll use this thread to post the details of the restoration as I go along and try to get some good pictures.

Without further preamble:

1) Post-purchase, just getting it home:

At first glance, it looks to be in pretty good condition, minus the flavorizer bars, grates, and burner tubes, all of which I planned to replace anyway:

rWgScIP.jpg

dOX0ShF.jpg

wsuOY8W.jpg

fM5549a.jpg

4uTVYXx.jpg

Stay tuned for disassembly next!

Last edited:
If it's going tot be a "keeper" you can make the investment in top notch parts for it. RC (Dave Santana) grates and flavo bars, a rotisserie and you'll have a FAR better overall grilling machine than ANYTHING coming from the Weber showrooms

2) Disassembly started -

17 years worth of crud in the bottom catch pan:

jpLbfUs.jpg

Removing flavorizer bars, burner tubes, cooking grate, and swinging warming basket. Planning on replacing these:

VRkWH3k.jpg

Taking the frame apart:

AElgNOx.jpg

The all-important bolt hole connecting the firebox to the frame where corrosion usually starts actually looks pretty good:

wN2ggyL.jpg

Firebox needs some cleaning but is otherwise in great condition. I know people say to leave the two burner tube aligning bolts alone, but I was able to extract them without too much difficulty. Hopefully will replace with stainless hardware if I can source it:

2QV0obx.jpg

QLUvT7N.jpg

Outside of lid has a little surface rust, but nothing serious and no chipped porcelain:

VZLTKwD.jpg

Aluminum lid side-pieces are very black on the inside, but otherwise good. Remainder of components have been disassembled:

JTyRq1f.jpg

Hardware:

Z1qYJ0m.jpg

Original sticker still legible:

YKVPeyY.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's great that you were able to remove the plastic endcaps, sometimes they put up quite a fight.

If you take a look at the right hand side of the frame, it has provisions to add an additional swing table, if you're able to find someone selling the swing tale and the endcap.

JKim - cool thanks for the idea on the additional swing table! I didn't know that. I'll examine more tonight when I get home.

Can anyone help me figure out how to find stainless steel versions of these fasteners? I looked in Home Depot and no luck.

1) The three screws that fasten the three burner tubes to the gas manifold
2) The two spacer screws that help align and contain the other ends of the two outside burner tubes in the firebox (these are apparently difficult to remove for a lot of people but I was able to extract them without too much trouble)
3) The ten thread-cutting nuts that hold the aluminum side pieces of the hood onto the porcelain-enamel part of the hood

Qh0jPOw.jpg

To number 1: These bolts do not tie the burners to the manifold. They are the screws which tighten the spider screen on the burners. I have never replaced these. I suggest to clean up the screws and re-use them.
To number 2: Lucky you you got them out. They normally tend to break off. I have used similar diameter SS screws with Phillips heads since I could find these kind of heads.
To number 3: These are not available in SS. I searched the internet up and down. No success. I ended up using zinc plated thread cutting nuts.

R0lVrnj.jpg

duDZtEw.jpg

Those cast iron grates don't look that bad, in my opinion. I'd try wirewheeling the rust off, and then re-season them.

Also, the burners don't look that bad either, but the crossover tube could probably use replacement (it's possible to buy just the crossover tube for ~$10 w/ shipping). Part number 85865 on ebay.

3) Cleaning

Oven cleaner & wire brush for interior of firebox and lid side pieces, simple green & fine steel wool for most other components:

tqOFSYc.jpg

J6wc1fd.jpg

Overnight soak in white vinegar for hardware:

oNiCyBm.jpg

Cleaning the grill cover. Found a mean looking spider hanging out in it:

p2xzSk1.jpg

Ur3M6KV.jpg

Last edited:
4) Painting

Exterior of firebox, exterior of cap side pieces, frame, manifold, and some other smaller components with Rustoleum high-heat ultra:

Q4zZYBl.jpg

Chris I am jealous of how organized you are! Looking forward to seeing the finished product

Ha, apparently not organized enough! I found the spring and rubber washer in this photo while I was moving some of the components around to start painting but I can't remember where they came from. I am not sure if they belong with the manifold or somewhere else. Does anyone know where these two parts go? Maybe part of the side-burner assembly?

UwWOViU.jpg

Not sure where the spring would go on a Genesis grill unless you disassembled your gas valves?

While the picture isn't that clear, the washer is probably just one of the "many" plastic washers under bolts on the frame.

5) Manifold Cleaning and Re-Lubing - Unsuccessful

I wanted to disassemble the manifold to clean and re-lube it (shoutout to C Allingham for this video), and even purchased the recommended brake lube, but on attempting to remove the screws the first screw stripped out almost laughably easily. I attempted to use a rubber band on a few of the other screws and they started stripping as well, so in the end I just abandoned the idea. Mildly disappointing but the valves work well-enough as they are, so going to let sleeping dogs lay on this one:

W65kPHm.jpg

Splashed on the heavy gauge stainless flavorizer bars and grates from rcplanebuyer via ebay. Man these things are heavy!

AYSeg6N.jpg

XpKSUkw.jpg

JjM8XB8.jpg

6) Re-assembly

I was happy to locate some new hardware for the inside of the firebox. Stainless bolts and washers for connecting the manifold and the side connection to the frame. I could not easily source the two #12 1/2" long hex-head screws in stainless steel that align the burner tubes, but I did locate new ones with zinc coating so I used those along with stainless washers, and purchased four extra to use on the bottom to hold the aluminum pieces that the bottom pan slides into:

8JZy70o.jpg

LSEqpGN.jpg

kyfe0pr.jpg

I was also able to locate some new zinc-plated thread cutting screws (7/16th head fitting onto 1/4") in the automotive hardware section of Lowes:

ftMhxDP.jpg

Sanded up the emblem a bit:

CvyDGUx.jpg

All hose connections passed the soapy-water test:

XhJ4iC8.jpg

Last edited:
Finished! I want to put out a special thanks to the authors and contributors to the many other restoration threads here, as I would not have been able to do this without the knowledge I picked up in those other threads. Special thanks to PaulD for his "Drab to Fab" sticky.

B0g99yJ.jpg

Np5nNlJ.jpg

GSlFnFy.jpg

Took about 15 minutes on high to max-out the thermometer :)

krN6A0c.jpg

The only three pieces I had leftover that I have no idea what they came from are a rubber button-type thing, a spring with what looks to be some type of brass piece near the top, and a thick rubber washer.

P1u7vId.jpg

The spring-thing seems like it would be part of a manifold valve, but as I was unsuccessful in taking any of them apart I don't think that is the case. Everything appears to be working perfectly normal as far as the propane connections go, so I really have no idea what it could have come from. Anyone have any ideas?

Chris, it looks great. I have some questions, though.

1) Why do you have 2 rows of flavorizer bars on a Silver?
2) What's up with the droopy igniter buttons?

Back