2000 vs 2006 weber silver, better choice?

Mike Sheeran

a bubble developed in my 2000 Genesis silver firebox and it had me thinking about a replacement so after a month searching CL one showed up at the curb, just down my street! Wow! I rolled home a 2006 genesis silver for free and began to asses my options. It was better in every way except that it's the cabinet style instead of open cart and does not have side burner. But all parts are in better shape. So I cleaned it up and decided to use it. Then I wondered what the warranty would be on the 2000 firebox with the bubble so I called Weber. The consumer service rep asked me a few questions, got me registered and then asked where I bought it. I said that it was my sister's and that she gave it to me many years ago. Then she said "it has a lifetime warranty but only for the buyer". So I replied, well I can have my sister call in the warranty and she said "all calls are recorded and since you have already admitted that she gave it to you then the warranty is void". So that was the end of the conversation. So I am a little conflicted over the policy but oh well. So now I am looking for a used replacement. Anyway, I thought it was all very interesting and I am very happy with the newer grill. Interestingly, the main function I have for my grill is to get a cast iron plate as hot as possible so that I can sear steak. I usually get the cast iron surface up to 780 degrees. The 2000 genesis is 42000 btu and the 2006 is 36000 (is the difference only the side burner?). It does seem to take the 2006 a little longer to get that hot and I only got it up to 700 degrees. Maybe that explains the bubble in the firebox! Has anyone seen this kind of thing happen to a firebox? They don't seem to be a common or cheap part to replace with new.
5mRIfrb.jpg
[/IMG]
0XOH0jD.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean as a "bubble" but looks like you got a nice grill there. Perhaps you can experiment putting the newer grill head in the older frame. Though I hear that is impossible. However they have a worship song in church with the refrain "nothing is impossible" so who knows?

I've seen a few fireboxes bulge at that spot, but never quite pronounced like your 2000. It's still a usable grill.

I've owned and flipped both. They are both quite nice. I am pretty sure it's a 2005, though (the last year of the Silver with the cabinet, its serial number should start with DO). The 2005 is a couple of inches taller and is favored by some of the taller folks.

That bulge is quite common. I am not sure exactly what the cause is but it usually doesn't affect the performance of the grill. That one pictured is the worst I have seen though.

You can easily swap the fireboxes, lids and interior parts of these two grills.

Maybe I'll keep using it that way and see what happens. No time to switch the two fireboxes because I upgraded my outdoor cooking area today with some artificial turf!
DDcMyMj.jpg
[/IMG]

The bulge is in a part that has a lifetime guarantee. Register the grill, then call Weber and send them the picture. They replaced mine after 10 years.

Just glanced at the first post and missed the customer service thing. They asked a couple of questions, then replaced mine. Weber CS must be slipping.

In answer to the initial comparison question, I personally really like the look of the ‘05/‘06 Silvers (and Gold/Platinums). I know others definitely don’t agree, so it is all a matter of taste and opinion. Performance and durability-wise I would say they are the same. To me, the early Silvers were kind of a transitional, uncertain look. I would rather have a x000 series grill with classic wood or maybe durawood slats OR go fully more modern with the ‘05/‘06 grills. I like the center mounted thermometer, the out-curved handle and the thermoset tables that I think look better than the thermoset on the earlier Silver grills.

Back