Removing box on 2001 Silver B

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi
I was thinking about priming and painting the outside of the box and the end caps. Any advice or tricks greatly appreciated. Now to remove the box I see one bolt on the left and 2 on the right. Is that it for removal. I guess burners need to b removed also. While at it I thought I would rough up the frame and do a preventative topcoat. George

Only the one bolt holds it to the frame. That one bolt is usually beeytch. The ones on the other side hold the burners and manifold on. DO NOT under any circumstances try to remove the 2 screws on the left side of the fire box which appear to be holding down the 2 outside burners. They do not

So just remove that left screw and the box lifts off? And replace with SS? Nothing else to unscrew to remove box? Is it ok to tape lid and cover with newspaper then paint end caps . Also I guess better to prime with high heat before topcoat. Is the box/end caps considered flat, semi? Most preferred sheen/paint? George
Ps. I’ve learned so much here. Thanks everyone!, for expanding my hobby interests

Last edited:
So just remove that left screw and the box lifts off? And replace with SS? Nothing else to unscrew to remove box? Is it ok to tape lid and cover with newspaper then paint end caps . Also I guess better to prime with high heat before topcoat. Is the box/end caps considered flat, semi? Most preferred sheen/paint? George

No, you also need to remove the screws that connect the manifold to the frame (most likely wingnuts on the outside of the box) then you can remove the burners after that. Once those screws are out along the one that holds it to the frame then you can remove the box. Be sure not to remove the screws that the burners slide into as they are just guides and could cause lots of problems if removed. Best to leave those screws alone.

Last edited:
Yah, even though only one bold attaches the cook box to the frame, you essentially would have to take the grill apart to get the fire box out and that is what you would want to do anyway if you were repainting the fire box.

There is a whitish residue on a small part of the box. Do I sand it off, or wash it? What's the best to do before printing and painting. George

Make sure all grease and other crud is completely removed. I would go over it with some oven cleaner. Then rinse it off good and wipe it down with a solvent such as XYLOL prior to painting.

Honestly I would not "wash" it with soap but wipe it down with some type of non oily thinner i.e. NOT Mineral Spirits what is just Kerosene that knows simebody

Yes I was only planning on a wire brushing, sanding, Oven cleaner spray then a wipe down with acetone kind of like I did with the handle holders

Back