Rubs 'n' Sh*t

J Hasselberger

TVWBB Pro
I have mostly adhered to the dogma that rubs are to be put on meat before cooking, but recently have thrown caution to the wind and put rub to other uses. In the past couple of weeks I've tried:

Rub 'n' Onion Dip
A packet of dry onion soup mix and a couple of cups of sour cream makes a decent chip dip. Add a teaspoon or so of your favorite rub and some ridged potato chips and you have a superbly appropriate nibble for your next barbecue party. Made it for a Tequila Club meeting along with beef ribs. Gone in 60 seconds.

Texas Bagels
Let's just admit that Texas ain't New York when it comes to bagels. However, if you schmear cream cheese on one and then sprinkle a bit of Texas' own Special **** on top, you have a righteous Lone Star bagel that you can enjoy with either coffee or a Shiner Bock. I got Special **** as a joke gift from a friend, but it's actually a very versatile seasoning/rub for all sorts of things. The label is too entertaining not to share:

Special **** by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Special **** by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

I like to take fresh green beans, put them in some foil, add a little olive oil and whatever rub I have on hand. I then fold the foil up and throw the packet on the grill while cooking whatever protein I'm grilling. They get a nice char and the rub adds a nice flavor!

I like to take fresh green beans, put them in some foil, add a little olive oil and whatever rub I have on hand. I then fold the foil up and throw the packet on the grill while cooking whatever protein I'm grilling. They get a nice char and the rub adds a nice flavor!
I do the same thing with asparagus, butter, and Beau Monde seasoning.

Someone gave me some of this for a gift and I haven't opened it. I know they make several different seasonings.

It may all be the same sh*t with a different label. :) My favorite one is for creating dips and it's named -- of course -- Dip Sh*t.
I checked Amazon, they sell the Special, as well as Chicken S, Bull S, and Good S.
All had different ingredients, the Chicken one looks loaded with sugar, and the last ingredient listed on the Special is plain meat tenderizer, that seems rather strange to me.

Back