Key Lime Barbecue Sauce

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Just finished eating this for dinner. Marinated chicken thighs in the sauce for about 1 hour and then grilled/basted them. DELICIOUS!!!!!!

Key Lime Barbecue Sauce
(makes about 2 cups)

2 or 3 Key limes
1 TB butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 small cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups catsup
3 TB red wine vinegar
6 TB honey
3 TB Worcestershire sauce
1 TB prepared mustard

Grate rind from limes, then cut the limes in half and squeeze into a small bowl and set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt butter and sauté onion until transparent, about 2 minutes. Add lime rind and garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add the rest of ingredients; bring to boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes.

Source: "Key Lime Cookbook" From Cross Creek Kitchens/Sally Morrison 1983

Quite a bump!

Who would think limes and meat would go together? Not me.

Obviously, it is often used in a marinade (the acid helps to tenderize) but not so often as a direct flavoring for meat, in my experience.

Until I made Birria Tacos this year. Best tacos ever. Classic toppings are chopped onion, fresh cilantro, and lime juice from a lime wedge of course. The more lime juice the better! Really really really really delicious.

If you want, you could slow cook the beef on the smoker or a kettle instead of braising it. That way you can get the Weber involved. Chud did this recently.

So yes, this bbq sauce recipe with key limes sounds interesting!

I do have a tendency to bump things up. :giggle: Mostly as a reminder for me. Over the years I have posted sooo many recipes that sound so good but we never got around to making. And then there are those we have made and want to try again and.............

Back