Strange happenings with this brisket!!

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Beautiful weather for smoking a brisket for my wife’s son’s birthday!
Being Michigan, sometimes the weather can take a strange turn with little warning! Anyway, after getting all cleaned up and putting on a fresh white shirt, I decide I should set up the smoker for the brisket, I successfully got the whole thing set up and charged with KBB and apple chunks. Amazingly, I manage to not covering myself in charcoal dust! That’s strange fun fact number one.
Went to pick up my wife and do a little shopping. Home and had a couple of cocktails, make dinner and about eight I decide that it’s time to go ahead and fire the WSM off, sidewinder minion method, let that settle in and trim the brisket rubbed with kosher salt and cracked black pepper pop it on and shut down vents as normal.
Everything seems just dandy, I take the remote up to the bedside table and hit the rack.
6:00 AM. Saturday morning
Something seems to be smelling heavenly with the windows open and early summer fragrance in the air. I roll over and look at the thermometer...
Strange occurrence #2
The probe temp reads....209!
I just jump up, change my underwear and pull on something and FLY down the stairs, probe the beast and it’s like jello, Warm jello at that! So, there is obviously nothing I can do to slow anything so, I’ve just just double wrapped in foil and holding in towels in a cooler for the time being.
I have no idea how this 14 pound packer managed to cook in nine hours instead of the 16 I had allotted but, it did!
This is the opposite of what usually happens, they always run late! But, the great God Hephaestus, seems to have deemed today a good day to fool with one of his acolytes!
Oh well, I guess I can have it for breakfast too!

Last edited:
Only thing I can think of that would do that, is your cooking temps were actually higher than your temp probes were reading.

I had that happen with a brisket on my stick burner a couple months ago, it got done far faster than I expected. Stick burner temps vary a lot , they're nothing like a WSM, but it still sent me to investigate the accuracy of my gauges and temp devices. Also caused me to wonder about what was going on inside my smoker.

All I can come up with is a freak breeze kicked up and just got things really rolling and spiked the fire. Boy, it looks really good, I hope it’s not just turning to mush in the slow 200degree oven.
It’s just plain crazy!

All I can come up with is a freak breeze kicked up and just got things really rolling and spiked the fire. Boy, it looks really good, I hope it’s not just turning to mush in the slow 200degree oven.
It’s just plain crazy!

probably a little late but no reason to have the temp much higher than 140F, maybe 150F or so for holding. Lets see the pics!

It’s just plain crazy!

You're probably safe from the mush part since it's pork that turns to mush when overcooked... But beef on the other hand...

What Clint said !

Fingers crossed....

Well, suffice to say there isn’t much left! Tender so tender I had to slice it much thicker than I ordinarily would. Dinner was a BIG hit! I might just have some for breakfast!
Sorry, no pictures, too busy stuffing ourselves!

It did turn out very very nicely! I doubt I will ever be able to repeat this one but, I wish I could! Two butts for the 22nd, combined birthday parties for all the early summer people!
I’m not really intimidated by brisket cooks, just mystified by them!
Now, drywall repair? That intimidates and frustrates me, thank God my brother in law is pretty good at it!

Back