Picnic Shoulder for 6pm - My first high heat smoke

EdP

TVWBB Member
I'm planning to serve at 6pm, gave myself til 7 with everyone but it will be ready @6.

The picnic shoulder was just over 10 pounds, removed skin/trimmed to 8+lbs, gave it a rub and put it in fridge overnight. I didn't want to do an overnight cook, or cook the day before/reheat.

I planned to wrap it with butcher paper at some point, and didn't, but in hindsight probably should have.

This was my first time running so hot, it initially settled a little above 300, but I was able to dial it down to about 280 and it pretty much stayed there without further adjustment.

6am - start smoker 2 small 1/2 logs apple

dvrbxT9.jpg

6:30 - Temp is 300+, put shoulder on smoker

5NYAsfk.jpg

8am - added small half log apple

10am - 275-300 temp 150 internal temp

11am - 275 160

12pm - 285 171

1pm - 270 180

2pm - 285 185

2:30 - 285 190

3:30 - 290 196 internal, double wrapped with butcher paper, into pan, wrapped with towel, into cooler

Foil may have been better at this point, since I didn't wrap it earlier

hRrLM2j.jpg

hvSBCyw.jpg

4:45 - flipped it in pan rewrapped with towel (figured it would let gravity moisturize every part of the meat)

6:00 - unwrapped

hOtyZZC.jpg

With the slaw and sauce of your choice, it's a success. But, the bark is a little tough. I think I should have either wrapped it on the smoker or wrapped in foil to rest.

Also, I'm guessing the temp rise during rest for a 275 cook is a lot more than a 225-250 cook. Maybe taking this off the smoker at 190 would've been better.

flUSsbP.jpg

DbCnVls.jpg

All of my shoulders have done low and slow over night, your looks great with the high heat method. Looks tasty to me, great job!

All of my shoulders have done low and slow over night, your looks great with the high heat method. Looks tasty to me, great job!

This was a good first attempt. I learned a few things:

High heat and no wrap can get the bark a little tough, so I should've wrapped it. Here's a pic@ 180 degrees, I could've wrapped it at this point or earlier.

AO3sKqH.jpg

Also, I took it off the smoker when several temp probes were between 196-199, but I assume a high heat cook meat temp rises a lot more during its rest than a typical 225+ smoke. I should have taken it off around 190.

I'm going to try a high heat packer brisket, so this will all be helpful.

Back