Staff member
These photos speak for themselves.

jQi8N80.jpg

00GDzDI.jpg

8x8dp2m.jpg

DywmRMW.jpg

iAZys5o.jpg

dGSm0l8.jpg

Looks so good Chris. We'll be on the lookout for those dogs and buns. We eat a lot of Coney Island dogs. We've been using Casper's. They're not quite a foot but pretty close and the Rainbow Giant buns.

Hot dogs look great. I love hot dogs but I'm partial to good ole Bar S jumbos. Wife doesn't like hot dogs so I have to pick my moments.

WOW, those look awesome. Also, nice to see the same number
of buns packaged as hotdogs.

Chris, where did you pick those up at?

WOW, those look awesome. Also, nice to see the same number
of buns packaged as hotdogs.

Chris, where did you pick those up at?

I bought these at Safeway. The buns were on a display in the vicinity of the dogs.

I saw these big dogs two years ago at another supermarket, but there was only one package left, it was beyond its expiration date, and the store had no giant buns, much less a matching Nathan's bun which I didn't even know existed. So when I saw these guys at Safeway yesterday, I bit hard and they reeled me in! :D

Those look delicious. I'll have to keep an eye out for those giant dogs and buns! Bar S in my area are budget dogs. However they still turn out pretty tasty when cooked on a Weber.:cool:

Nice looking big dogs Chris!

Guess I'll have to try BarS, I always thought they might be sub-par since they're usually so cheap around here.

Here's the thing about hot dogs... you've already made the decision to eat lips and a$$holes, so why would you suddenly want to class it up? lol. My ex-MIL used to swear by all beef hot dogs so one day we did a full on blind taste test. Everyone, to a person, preferred the BarS franks that are made with pork and chicken parts. I just get the Jumbo versions of the straight up BarS franks. Tastes like a hot dog is supposed to. Just sayin.

These are the go-to for me...

large_ee373401-496a-4d5c-bfa5-f0babdb1e6a1.JPG

These are really a treat if you can find them. Same as above only in the huge quarter pound size. These are the ones you find at some sporting events.

large_3e9fd263-1cf7-4a78-9dfe-9a5fec0b61b3.jpg

With hot dogs you pick your poison I guess.

Bar S:
Ingredients: Mechanically Separated Chicken, Water, Pork, Dextrose, Modified Corn Starch, Salt, Contains 2% or Less of the Following: Beef, Corn Syrup, Flavorings, Sodium Phosphates, Potassium Lactate, Potassium Acetate, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Erythorbate, Oleoresin of Paprika, Sodium Nitrite, Smoke Flavoring.

Nathan:

• Ingredients. Beef, Water, Contains Less Than 2% Of Salt, Sorbitol, Sodium Lactate, Natural Flavorings, Sodium Phosphate, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Paprika, Sodium Diacetate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite.

Love hot dogs, but only have them once or twice a year due to the high sodium levels in them. Tried some low sodium dogs, just couldn't gag one down.
I make a mean chili dog chili which I always have with them.

I’ve seen those. But, I’ve not seen the foot long buns.
Pammi and I prefer Nathan’s over other dogs.
The other day, I cooked up a whole mess of burgers and dogs at Pammi’s school. There were Ballpark all beef franks, plus 2 types of Nathan’s, the regular bun length and some 1/4 pound ones. Those things were huge! I didn’t get to try one, because the teachers ate them up before I could try one.
Oh well. I got a dozen regular Nathan’s that they said didn’t need cooking. The are resting comfortably in my freezer now.

I'll have to try those straight-ahead Bar-S hot dogs. I've only had the premium beef version from Walmart. Generally I like a beef hot dog vs. other meat hot dog, but you're right, in the end it's all about taste.

Some may remember that in 2014, I did a lengthy taste test of beef hot dogs. Bar-S finished in the bottom third. That's why I said it was a "good" hot dog, not an excellent hot dog.

TVWGG HOT DOG TASTE-OFF: BIG BRAND BASIC DIVISION

TVWGG HOT DOG TASTE-OFF: BIG BRAND PREMIUM DIVISION

TVWGG HOT DOG TASTE-OFF: ALMOST ORGANIC DIVISION

TVWGG HOT DOG TASTE-OFF: ORGANIC DIVISION

TVWGG HOT DOG TASTE-OFF: STRAY DOG DIVISION

TVWGG HOT DOG TASTE-OFF: FINAL RESULTS & WRAP-UP

There’s a diner 2 miles from my house that makes a great foot long. Crispy on the outside with chili, slaw, and onions for $3.25.

We typically buy Nathan's or Hebrew Nation, but lean more towards Nathan's. Our last camp trip it was Nathans's with King Hawaiian hot dog buns. They were tasty. The King Hawaiian buns are sliced on the top so there was a learning curve for a few of the campers...

My wife buys Not-dogs (not sure which brand) And uses them when making pigs in a blanket. Both of the kids can't even tell they aren't hot dogs. The flavor is correct but the texture in my opinion is the give away. None the less they are good. Would I take them camping, no. If I wanted a hot dog would I go buy them no!

I'll have to try those straight-ahead Bar-S hot dogs. I've only had the premium beef version from Walmart. Generally I like a beef hot dog vs. other meat hot dog, but you're right, in the end it's all about taste.

Some may remember that in 2014, I did a lengthy taste test of beef hot dogs. Bar-S finished in the bottom third. That's why I said it was a "good" hot dog, not an excellent hot dog.

TVWGG HOT DOG TASTE-OFF: BIG BRAND BASIC DIVISION

TVWGG HOT DOG TASTE-OFF: BIG BRAND PREMIUM DIVISION

TVWGG HOT DOG TASTE-OFF: ALMOST ORGANIC DIVISION

TVWGG HOT DOG TASTE-OFF: ORGANIC DIVISION

TVWGG HOT DOG TASTE-OFF: STRAY DOG DIVISION

TVWGG HOT DOG TASTE-OFF: FINAL RESULTS & WRAP-UP

Yeah, the all beef BarS is nothing to write home about. You need to get the mongrel ones. lol

Back