Cast Iron Fried Chicken

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I've been doing a lot of outside work getting ready for the upcoming fire season and decided to take a few hours of and squeeze in a cook. I've been craving some fried chicken lately so I pulled some thighs out of the freezer. Sided it up baked potatoes and grilled Spaghetti Squash. Here's a few pictures.

Mixed the spices for the chicken.

enhance

Thighs ready to go.

enhance

Worked out the set up for my 16" Camp Dutch Oven.

enhance

I soaked the thighs in an egg/buttermilk mixture for an hour and then coated the thighs in my spices.

enhance

Browned the chicken in some Peanut Oil over a bed of charcoal.

enhance

Quick flip.

enhance

Drained the oil from the dutch oven and put in a trivet. Changed charcoal setup to one ring of coals on bottom of DO and two on top. I made this trivet out of a Weber grill grate. Guess this makes this chicken an official Weber cook?? Maybe not.

enhance

Baked the chicken for an hour.
enhance

Threw the potatoes on my JJ. I'd originally bought a couple of the large ones but my wife decided hers was just too large so she had the smaller one.

enhance

Halved the squash and grilled, flesh side down for 30 minutes. Seasoned first with oil, salt, pepper and some paprika.

enhance

Last edited:
-------------------

Done.

enhance

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

This was a fun cook. Got enough chicken for another meal. Thanks for looking everyone.

Cliff, I love it when someone makes their own spice blend (also their own BBQ sauce) The thighs (my favorite part of the chicken) look so delicious. Any chance of you parting with your spice blend recipe?

I bet that was super good Cliff. I've never before seen a fried chicken cook done the way you did it. Half fried then baked, sure looks like a great way to do it.

Any chance of you parting with your spice blend recipe?

Thanks Joan. I can't take credit for the spices used in this recipe. I got them a few years ago off a Youtube recipe from Cast Iron Cooking. It caught my eye at the time as the poster was from Eureka, CA and that is where my wife was raised. Here's the spices.

One cup AP flour
One cup Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup sage
2 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp salt (I used kosher)
1 1/2 tbs garlic powder
1 tbsp powdered mustard
1 tbsp thyme
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground oregano
2 tbsp Italian Seasoning (Recipe states optional. I went ahead and added it.)

I’ve been lazy about making rubs lately, and results are showing that! I’ve been pretty underimpressed with some of the recent feasts since I’ve been using “prefab” rubs, they strike me as either too hot (read, JUST heat) or too salty. I have a handful of jugs out in the kitchen and am one step from just ditching them.
The Harry Soo and dizzy pig, left me clearly stable and focused, not the least dizzy, cayenne and paprika with salt was the depth of flavor I felt I got from it. Last night I tried it again on a pork tenderloin and was met with “meh” result. Back to basics, make your own, adjust according to “mood”.
Not meaning to rain on anyone’s parade but, I’m leaning toward the simple fact that they are not necessarily for me.

Thank goodness, I like all of the ingredients lol

Thanks soo much Cliff. Hope to try this real soon. Will let you know. Good use for the family cast iron pan I inherited.

Joan

That Fried chicken thighs looks awesome. I bet it was very tasty!!! Thanks for the spice rub, I'm going to try that this weekend.

I’ve been lazy about making rubs lately, and results are showing that! I’ve been pretty underimpressed with some of the recent feasts since I’ve been using “prefab” rubs, they strike me as either too hot (read, JUST heat) or too salty. I have a handful of jugs out in the kitchen and am one step from just ditching them.
The Harry Soo and dizzy pig, left me clearly stable and focused, not the least dizzy, cayenne and paprika with salt was the depth of flavor I felt I got from it. Last night I tried it again on a pork tenderloin and was met with “meh” result. Back to basics, make your own, adjust according to “mood”.
Not meaning to rain on anyone’s parade but, I’m leaning toward the simple fact that they are not necessarily for me.

Yeah Timothy!!!!!! That's what I like to hear. I'm not against using store bought, but it is so much more fun to make our own. When I say "make our own" I mean using a recipe. I have on many occasions just made up a blend. There are a few herbs and spices we don't like. We also do the same with sauces.

Last edited:
Thanks Joan. I can't take credit for the spices used in this recipe. I got them a few years ago off a Youtube recipe from Cast Iron Cooking. It caught my eye at the time as the poster was from Eureka, CA and that is where my wife was raised. Here's the spices.

One cup AP flour
One cup Bread Crumbs
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup sage
2 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp salt (I used kosher)
1 1/2 tbs garlic powder
1 tbsp powdered mustard
1 tbsp thyme
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground oregano
2 tbsp Italian Seasoning (Recipe states optional. I went ahead and added it.)
Cliff, I am soo sorry, I hope you ARE R.I.P. I had almost 2 years to try your recipe and never got around to it. It is going in our make soon folder right now. 🥰

Back in my early days on the forum I always made sure to check out Cliffs posts. He taught me an awful lot of good things. He would always answer any questions I might ask. All around great guy.

Me too. I especially miss him beating me in every cooking challenge. Chris used to have a monthly cooking challenge where the members would vote for the winner. We were all basically competing for second place against Cliff.
We should revive that...

Back