Is $100 for a Genesis Silver "C" a good deal for a re-furbish?

Chris Bond

Hi, all.

I am just getting started looking at Weber grills and have decided I would like to re-furbish an older one instead of buying new. Can anyone give me some guidance on this post: https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/app/d/pittsburgh-weber-grill/6899468870.html?

Is this a Silver C? Is $100 a good deal for it? I would probably plan to replace the burners, flavorizer bars, and grill grate at minimum; what should I look for when checking it out? Are there areas on the frame that are more prone to rust that I should watch out for?

Also, is it possible to replace the plastic side tables with wood (like some of the earlier models - I really like that look better)?

Any restoration posts for something similar to this that you would reccomend I look at?

Thanks for any thoughts in advance!

The ad is pretty slim on info.

I paid $100 for a 2001 Genesis Gold C. Costing me a about $200 in parts and supplies.

From the little I've seen, the bottom shelf rusts as well as where the fire box rests on the frame. The one I bought has no rust on the frame and no nicks on the porcelain.

Yes, that is a Silver C...I'd check the crossbar that houses the bolt that attaches to the firebox and the frame itself that the firebox touches. If there are no signs of rust then it should be a good rehab candidate. $100 is not bad but see if you can go lower...say $70 since the ad has been up for more than a week now and the seller might want to get rid of it at that point.

Yes I agree with Sam. Check for rust on the frame. If that is solid it it a good candidate. And try to haggle him down on the $100. This is a bit steep in my view.

Thanks all for the insight and guidance. I'll be checking it out tomorrow afternoon and will look at the areas on the frame mentioned here for rust.

Anyone have a sense of how frequently these older models come up for sale on craigslist in major metro areas? Every few weeks, months? How long did it take you to land a good refurb model?

They show up in our area every few weeks or sometimes days. But seldom cheap enough for me to buy as a grill to refurbish and resell.

About a month and a half ago, I was searching for a refurb in NE OH. Craigslist was showing me some Pittsburgh ads "near me" for my Weber searches. A Platinum C for $100 and a Natural Gas Silver C for $40. Neither of them lasted very long. I have also noticed the warm weather seems to be making the used grill prices go up. The 30-50 Silver B's I was seeing in April/May are now 75 to 175.

They pop up here and there in my area. Just picked a Silver B yesterday and a Genny 1000 last week.

IN Chicago area they come up a lot. BTW try doing just generic "gas gill" as search criteria. It will get you a few more hits than looking only for Weber. As for your initial question. If you're doing one for yourself long term keeper as long as it's not a rust bucket no $100 is fine. Invest in top quality FB's and grates from Dave AKA RCplanebuyer and you will have yourself one fine grilling machine far and away better and more useful than new Weber stuff

Just to close the loop on this thread, I went over to check out the grill the other day, and ended up picking it up! It is a 2002 Genesis Silver "C", and it is in great condition. I picked it up from a nice couple who claim to be the original owners and for $75 I got the grill, a 1/2 full LP tank, original grill cover, and an unopened (still in the plastic shrink wrap) cast iron smoker box. I will start a new restoration post soon with pictures; I am planning on doing a complete tear-down and re-build.

Back