Brisket - no bark?

Joe R Parker

First time poster here.

Did my second cook on my 18" memorial day weekend. Cooked a 14# packer brisket and a 12# pork butt. ran b/w 250-275 for around 11 hours. water in the pan, lump charcoal, hickory chunks.

My question is....neither really developed a quality bark. Any ideas as to why?

Water may have been raising the humidity enough to not allow bark development.
At least that would be my guess. Others will probably have better ideas.

Might need a little more info to help. What kind of rub? Did you wrap, if so how far into the cook?

Only S&P - my usual. did not wrap until it got to be crunch time and i needed to have it done in time for dinner. Normally I don't wrap until bark has formed. I don't worry about temp until the bark has formed or has started forming, at least.

Yep I just use S&P on brisket, the coarse pepper helps attract smoke which should help your bark. Sounds like maybe you just wrapped too early. I typically wrap brisket when the bark is the color I want and just a little crunchy ( since it will soften a little in the wrap). Last brisket I did I wrapped about 8hrs in. Also make sure the wrap is really tight, that helps keep the wrap from steaming off your bark. I always use a water pan with brisket. Last thing is if you were spritzing, maybe spritzing too early or often? I usually don't spritz the first 3hrs at all and then very lightly no more than once an hour. Hope that helps

i only wrapped because i couldn't wait anymore. what i am saying is - the bark was waaaaaay underdeveloped, compared to previous cooks.

also i use coarse black pepper - 16 mesh.

11 hrs @ 250-275 is plenty of time for a proper bark with or without water or sugar in a rub.

Something is amiss.
You say this is your second cook, but the bark was way underdeveloped compared to previous cooks?
So do you prefer a really barky bark like a black metorite ( that usually comes from an overnite) or a browned carmelized bark ( that usually comes from an 11hr smoke)?
OBTW Welcome to the board!:wsm:

Tim

Yes, welcome!
I agree with Tim, something is amiss, that’s 26 pounds of meat, big second undertaking, think carefully about the sequence of events. Any spikes or drops in temp? I would not have used water with that much mass, but, I’ve never used water nor wrapped. Killer bark every time.
I will set up for an overnight brisket tomorrow for wife’s son’s birthday dinner! Wrapping terra-cotta saucer, laying a bag of KBB and a bunch of cherry, Salt and pepper will round out the smoke!

A lot of things affect bark, how its trimmed is #1 imo,less fat=less bark,no sugar less bark, best I can tell pepper hasn't ever attracted smoke as its a dry product , humidity ect , try to only change 1-2 things on the next smoke and write down the results and you will figure out what way you like the best. I cook brisket rarely so I will forget what I liked or disliked about it by the time I do the next 1 lol, age has a way of making you forget previous mistakes lol, I'm not big about bark on a brisket , pulled pork is another story

I misspoke - second cook on my bullet. Not my second cook ever...whoops. I wrap in butcher paper (the brisket, not the pork. I copy Aaron Franklin).

I am going to go with no water next time, since it is humid down south. see how that goes.

thanks guys!

I'm certainly no expert but is it also possible that a wet exterior might cause this? Out of habit, I try to pat mine a few times with paper towels before adding a rub. Welcome here and good luck!

Thanks - yeah mine is pretty dry as well before getting in to the cooker. I usually dry brine it overnight AT MINIMUM in the fridge to help.

I think the water pan may have been the culprit. :confused:

I'm a bit south of you and my last butt didn't develop bark after 6 hours with water. I don't normally use water but I did and only God knows why I changed. My money is on the water being the culprit. Welcome aboard Carolina. :wsm:

Back