NEW WSM 18.5 + Heatermeter+ rotodamper ideas

Steve IL

So I built a heatermeter last year for my crappy sidebox smoker grill. After realizing the heatermeter worked beautiful and my issue was all the heat loss in my crappy smoker i upgraded to the WSM 18 yesterday! This thing is beautiful so i really don't want to cut and drill it to much but I want to pair the heatermeter/roto with it. Looking for some ideas of what others have done. thinking i could run pipe into the 3 small holes on the stock vent and hook the heatermeter up to that sort of like a manifold. not sure if I'll get the desired air flow tho. Thanks guys

Dog bowl - Dollar store
Conduit nipple and two conduit nuts
Long 1/4" screw/ wingnut
Homemade deflector inside.... I use part of a muffin baking pan from Dollar store.

Total cost about $10

IMG_20190121_083520833.jpg

IMG_20190121_083535527.jpg

Last edited:
perfect! thanks guys. I remember when i built the heatermeter seeing guys did dog bowl things but couldn't find the post from last year. This will work perfect. Weekend project!

My adapta-a-damper is still printing away so I haven't tried this yet, but in terms of deflecting internally I was thinking of just using a second dog bowl cut in half horizontally. You could secure both dog bowls with a single bolt (i.e. sandwich the cooker). In theory this should push the air under the coals instead of straight at them / over them. Worth a try, the only 11cm dog bowl I could find came as a set of two for AU$4 so I already have two :D

Edit: had a quick look, and it'll definitely all fit once the dog bowl is cut in half - though something I haven't considered is ash - if the air is blowing down into the ash it might stir it up a bit? Though I would assume when it's all working well it's more of a breeze feeding the fire rather than a jet of air!

Anyway, hope to get things assembled this weekend and do a first trial run of the whole setup tomorrow and see how it goes!

Last edited:

Back