6th Annual Elk Grove Western Festival & BBQ Championship, Elk Grove CA

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
The sixth edition of the Elk Grove Western Festival & BBQ Championship was held May 3-4, 2019 in Elk Grove, CA, located 15 miles south of Sacramento. This was my third time judging this event, having done it in 2015, 2017, and now 2019.

The Western Festival is a fixture in this community, bringing old-fashioned fun to Elk Grove for 62 years! The KCBS-sanctioned barbecue contest adds another dimension to the event, giving visitors more to enjoy in addition to the carnival rides, food and merchandise vendors, live music, and the cool shady park venue. The contest is organized by Ed Anhorn of Big Bull BBQ Events & Productions...congrats to him for always putting on a great BBQ event!

Big congratulations go out to The Smoking J's and my buddy, sometimes fellow BBQ judge, and TVWBB member Martin Wilde for taking Grand Champion, and Big Poppa Smokers for taking Reserve Champion.

Here are some photos from the day...I hope you enjoy them!

cLguq0C.jpg

The uniform of the day!

Ca6ddyB.jpg

This is why we're here.

zdY5xcw.jpg

Judges gearing up for the contest.

OV9Z1pL.jpg

An open invitation for all to join KCBS!

u4Rm1RR.jpg

Two judges--Tony Ucciferri and Kevin Utz--celebrating their 30th contest by leading everyone in the KCBS Judges Oath. Congratulations, gentlemen!

OgT8lhI.jpg

Teams are preparing to turn in their best cuts of meat to the judges.

onoLOBs.jpg

Flags flying high over the team area.

Continued...

b1Jj5iZ.jpg

Elk Grove Regional Park, a beautiful venue for this event.

WK9xwbP.jpg

"What's it going to take to put you in a new Kia today?"

Qi6r8qE.jpg

The corn dogs were an easier sell than the new cars...

ekBplZD.jpg

You can't resist the bright primary colors, the deep-fried smell...

vVRs8n0.jpg

...and the golden, brown and delicious coating on these jumbo corn dogs.

0Polqyt.jpg

The Sheldon High School Marching Band from Sacramento paraded through the shady park.

t4ptnF2.jpg

Gayle Haugen of party band Hey Monkey sings the AC/DC classic, "You Shook Me All Night Long".

UjVENrD.jpg

The Blue Canyon Western Historical Preservation Society was on-hand to show us what life was like in the 1800s.

JOVSZNm.jpg

Guys in period costumes cooking over live fire. Don't get your BofA bank bag too close to the flames!

ELqYfxI.jpg

I didn't get to taste the stew, but it looked pretty tasty! (Did they have baby carrots in the 1800s?)

Continued...

mXMMYzq.jpg

Last and least, it was a stop at my favorite out-of-town supermarket, Nugget Market, with locations throughout the Sacramento Valley but none where I live in Silicon Valley. Such a quality store, I stop and shop whenever I'm near one. This one in Elk Grove is differentiated by its amazing sunflower paint scheme.

SY3WuKh.jpg

At Nugget Market, I picked up a package of Tender Belly cherry-smoked bacon. If you watch my videos and have a mind like a steel trap, you may recall that I mentioned seeing Tender Belly products at the 2019 Fancy Food Show in San Francisco earlier this year. This was my chance to try their stuff...and it's delicious, I must say.

Those were great pics and lots of fun being had by all. I wish we had something like that in our area. Thanks again for sharing your trips with us.

I was really looking forward to this years event. A month ago I marked my calendar. Unfortunately it was yesterday. So it was obvious cancelled this year. ☹️☹️☹️. Guess I can look forward to next year.

I was really looking forward to this years event. A month ago I marked my calendar. Unfortunately it was yesterday. So it was obvious cancelled this year. ☹☹☹. Guess I can look forward to next year.
Officially, the contest has been postponed to a date TBD. Here's the announcement on the CBBQA forum:
Posted 23 March 2020 - 01:02 PM

COVID-19 UPDATE: The Elk Grove Western Festival Board of Directors informed me early this morning that they are postponing their event to a date yet to be determined. This means our associated event, the Elk Grove BBQ Championship will also be postponed. FYI - We were up to 27 Pro Teams and 9 Backyard Teams entered for this year’s competition which meant we would have been a Jack and American Royal qualifier event and provided maximum points for the TOY race.

I’m processing refunds today so if you paid by check you will receive a refund check or your original check in the mail OR if you paid by credit card you will receive a refund to the same card on which you paid.

I sincerely appreciate your support of my event and will keep you posted on any progress for a rescheduled date.

Stay healthy, keep smokin’ and prepare for a great celebration when we get through this together!!
Ed

Officially, the contest has been postponed to a date TBD. Here's the announcement on the CBBQA forum:
That would be great if they could reschedule for all those teams. Now I can still look forward to it. This weekend was perfect weather for it. Hopefully when/if they can reschedule, it won't be when it's 110 degrees outside.

Yeah the weather was great this weekend. My partner asked me if I want to do clayton again this year(August). It was a good time but man that summer heat is brutal.

just looked at this for the first time.....was waxing nostalgic for better days social activity...this was the ticket, thanks for sharing. Here's to future BBQ Comp Events!!!!

Back