1st pizza of the season

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well me and my little partner in crime had gotten done with a little game of Horse on the driveway basketball ct and on deciding what to make for dinner we thought maybe sausage & peppers. I had the sausage in the freezer so off to the store to buy peppers. While there I noticed some pre made pizza crusts I have never tried and they looked interesting. So we thought PIZZA!
Got some cheese, a can of Cento San Marzzano tomatoes (my fav) and went home. First lit up the Genesis and grilled off the sausage. While that was grilling off I started making the sauce. Made a nice marinara from scratch and a nice basil oil as a finishing touch.
Built the two Za's and put them onto the Wolf which had been pre heating with the rotisserie burner at full tilt and all 6 main burners on medium/low. About 9 minutes later this was the result. Crispy, nicely cooked, very nice indeed. Not my wife's home made dough but in a pinch the product worked very nicely, was easy to handle and baked to a nice crispy crust. Overall VERY happy
3kcSBOZ.jpg

Last edited:
Not the greatest but in a pinch for being able to make a couple pizzas in literally less than an hour from start to eating I was pleasantly surprised. Still nothing can beat my wife's homemade dough. The only thing is you have to parbake it a little prior to actually building a pizza and that is a little tricky when doing it right on the grates with ray dough. Next time she makes it I may try doing the parbake in cast iron and than the finished built pizza right on the grates as I like. Another time when I actually have more of it

Nice looking pies Larry. I'm a big fan of certified Cento San Marzzano tomatoes also. I thought they were a little pricy but I always used them for my tomato sauces and pizzas. After I found them at Walmart for half the price of Fry's (Kroger) I use them in everything now.
Barb makes our pizza dough, the store brands have way to much sodium for me.

Check out the organic variety they have also. There is one store here I can get them at so when I am there and want San Marzzano I check to see if they're in stock and if so I buy a few cans. They also have some other high end imported brands I like trying though I seem to be most consistently happy with Cento

If anyone wants an in-between option where you're comfortable handling dough but don't really want to mess with making it yourself, a lot of grocery stores, especially ones that have a hot food counter that sells pizza, will sell fresh or fresh-frozen dough which you can use instead of the pre-formed crusts. The stores near me sell it for under $2. It mostly just needs a quick shape and a 15 minute rest to come up to a temperature where it won't snap back when you try and roll it out, and you're set. It's not as good as homemade dough, but if that's a 10 the storebought stuff is at least a 7 or 8.

Pizza looks great. I like doing them on the grill as well. I use a pizza stone and put the pizza on a screen that is placed on the stone. The only thing I need to do is to find a way to elevate the pizza so that the top is browned.

I’m looking forward to September when I take my daughter to Northwestern. Will stop in Chicago to get some deep dish. Haven’t been there since 95 when my brother was going to UChicago. Back then, we went to Gino’s East.

Larry,

Your pizza looks GREAT! How come no invite again;)?

When I finally get to working on the Lynx I picked up I think I might try that before I get it all cleaned up for sale. Of course, our household lacks the real deal Italian cooking skills you all have, so I will probably have to make do with fewer from scratch ingredients. I think your method of using the rear sear burner obviously works extremely well.

Man, those zzas look great! I'm pretty sure my invite got lost in the mail again...:rolleyes:

Oh, and nice custom grates!

Pizza's look great. I use a stone and still have a hard time getting enough heat on the top of the pizzas without charring the bottoms.

Yeah the issue with doing them on a regular grill is the heat is only underneath. I have not tried this but if you have a large enough grill with NS burners where a za can fit between the burners perhaps leaving the outside burners full throttle and center one(s) off can get enough wrap around heat. I may try it as an experiment on the Wolf but most likely not. Sorry for the no invites. It was quick and impromptu and I only made those 2 which were devoured by hungry family while we had a baseball night

Back