Pork Butt

Ed Farrell

Prepared for an overnight cook for 9lb pork butt. Temp stayed at the lid between 225 and never higher than 250. It hit iternal temp of 203 in 5 hrs. Tasted great. Question why did it get done so fast.

What were you cooking on? There's a potential that you had a much higher temperature at the grate. My 22.5 WSM seems to act that way sometimes. You'd think the temp in the dome would be higher but it's lower. The other question I'd ask is did you wrap. I'm guessing not because it finished so fast. That's kind of a head-scratcher.

That will make it cook faster but not that much faster. Even if you were at say 275 I don't think it would cook that fast.

I always go by the grate temperature. Some people use the lid temperature and it works out for them. I find mine is pretty close if I use water.

Was it probe tender.? When you foil your internal temps will rise quickly but that doesn't mean you had enough time to make it tender.
When I foil I ditch any thermo and go by feel to determine doneness.
Tim

would a boneless butt cook quicker?

Yes it would on some occasions and some would argue that the bone helps it cook quicker. So I'm split
Did 4 butts, two BI and two BNLS and they all finished at about the same time.
Simple fact. My backyard, my WSM"s. Everyone's WSM's behave's differently.
The only way to figure this damn thing out is to experiment and see how your WSM runs in your backyard.:wsm:

Tim

Its ez to have meat temp be waaay off if not inserted deep enough, or too close to edge of meat. Or kinked/bad wire creating a junction outside the meat.

several times I've repositioned a meat probe and had the meat drop by 20 or 30 degrees...

In fact of a cook looks like it's going to quickly I kind of check for it now. Compare it with thermapen

Last edited:
Once again, I’m in complete agreement with Timothy, I’ve not done one BI and the other boneless at the same time but I’m also split of the conductive properties of bone in over boneless. And no more true fact than “this works in MY backyard on MY WSM.” All the variables that come into play seem to make smoking one of the most challenging projects I’ve embarked on. I’ll be setting up for an overnight brisket smoke this afternoon and I know it will be “different” from the last two just because no two EVER go the same!

Back