Weber open cart (e310) vs closed cart (e315)?

PatrickP

I am really set on getting the weber e315 with closed cart because we currently have 2 dogs who love to get into the grease. But i hear reports of rust inside the cabinet. We live in wisconsin and the grill will always be covered. I looked at the open cart vs closed in the store and both are made out of the same metal and thickness. The main reason for the cart is so we can store grates, griddle etc that may have grease on away from the dogs and it's out of sight to look nicer.i did notice on the new carts they are not fully enclosed like the old ones when the tank was inside. The left side has any a 4-6" opening below the box on left side. Don't know about the right. Also, is it possibly some of the rust was from tank stored inside and it frosting up? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hello Patrick and welcome to the board!

It's too early to tell if the new Genesis grills will develop rust quickly like the previous gen. The reason why the previous one developed rust is because Weber used cheap steel on the enclosed cabinet part. There are some that have had great success in keeping their Weber rust free but most of them have developed rust (just check out CL/Facebook/OfferUp ads). Yah, the new one has a 10 year warranty but when making a claim it will depend on the CS rep that you deal with...some of them will help you and some of them will not. Both of them are good grills (I had a Genesis II E-310) and should serve you well, just take good care of it because it's really a turn off spending close to 1k to only have the grill become a rust bucket later down the road. Good luck!

I just bought the closed cart E-335 and time will tell but at least I am informed and will keep an eye on it for condensation, pooling of water etc...

I think it was a good decision for weber to move the tank out from under there even though it looks a little odd off to the side.

Back