Bologna tips

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
Hello ALL,
what is your favorite rub for bologna?
Your favorite smoke wood?
Water in the pan or no?
Glaze or no? I'm curious about dousing with a vinegar sauce.

Got some Texas Toast for sammies, thinking about garlic butter, caramelized onions, cheese.

Your opinion welcome.😁

What type of bologna are you using? Is not bologna fully cooked and contained in a sealed wrapper? Interested in you response, thank you.

Hi Dan,
It's a 5# roll of Bar-S Bologna. Yes, bologna is fully cooked and sealed up.
Have you never eaten bologna?

I smoked a lot of bologna when I lived in Oklahoma. I always liked Garlic bologna from the deli. Always used hickory or post oak. No glaze but would puncture with a fork. Great on top of a hamburger. Good with fried eggs the next morning.

Ah, the old "Oklahoma Ribeye." :)

Smoked bologna is actually very, very good. Usually it's scored down the length of the log and smoked for a few hours. You can glaze with BBQ sauce for the last 30 minutes if you want, but it's damn tasty just smoked. Now that I have my WSM, my plan is to smoke a bologna log on the lower rack when I do a brisket or a pork shoulder on the upper rack so the drippings will finish off that bologna real nice.

Or I've also seen a recipe for "poor man's burnt ends." slather that log with mustard and rub, then smoke it for 2 hours. Then cube it up and put them all in a pan and slather with brown sugar and BBQ sauce then put the whole pan back in the smoker for another 30 minutes.

As for rub, I use the Head Country Championship Rub for pretty much everything. And, I'm also all in on Head Country for sauce, when I use it. I like the Hot or the Chipotle versions the best. As for smoke wood, I'm a mesquite guy.... love it. I'll do a mesquite and apple mix pretty much for everything.

Last edited:
That's one of my "to do list." Grew up on fried bologna, grilled onion sammy's. Add some cheese and stone ground on a toasted bun, Heaven!

Tim

I'm been wanting to do it for a while too. I'm just south of Oklahoma, and I used to see it occasionally in joints around here.

I usually use the garlic bologna. I score it with a diamond pattern about 1/4" depth. I use hickory wood. cover with a light coat of mustard and then apply the rub. I use Alton Brown's 8+3+1+1 rub ( 8 parts brown sugar, 3 parts Kosher salt 1 part chili powder, plus 1 part of mixed seasoning whatever I feel like. or Billy Bones Original rub. No glaze necessary.

That's one of my "to do list." Grew up on fried bologna, grilled onion sammy's. Add some cheese and stone ground on a toasted bun, Heaven!

Tim

i could go for a couple of those right now.

I'm wondering what's the difference between Hot Dogs & Bologna - same thing?

i could go for a couple of those right now.

I'm wondering what's the difference between Hot Dogs & Bologna - same thing?
Depending on where you’re from...
Spelling or smelling.
The late Jim McReynolds was quite fond of a fried bologna sandwich! One of the most interesting bluegrass musicians I’ve ever met, cool guy!

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I needed to start cooking before I saw all these replies. Thanks very much!
The cook went really well. Scored the loaf, rubbed w/ Mustard, dusted w/ Blues Hog.
Smoked @ 225 - 250 for 2.5 hrs over 2 small Hickory and 1 med Oak.

Caramelized Onions, Toasted Texas Toast (try saying that 3 times fast), fried bologna slices w/ cheese.
Actually very good, and another Great Day To Be Alive And Be In Tennessee!!

Pictures here

Hi Dan,
It's a 5# roll of Bar-S Bologna. Yes, bologna is fully cooked and sealed up.
Have you never eaten bologna?

Yes I have and even ate fried bologna, but as you said it is all sealed up with casing, so how is it smoked if no smoke can enter the meat? Just like brats, I have tried to remove the casing without much success. I was looking to learn you but I guess you feel this forum is not used this way. Thanks for your knowledge sharing.

Those casings are usually gas permeable, depending on what type. I'm not sure how much smoke flavor gets in them.

I think Charles meant have you never eaten barbecued bologna.
It's removed from the casing, easy to do with something firm compared to brats or other uncooked sausages.
From the web:

smoked-bologna.jpg

Yes I have and even ate fried bologna, but as you said it is all sealed up with casing, so how is it smoked if no smoke can enter the meat? Just like brats, I have tried to remove the casing without much success. I was looking to learn you but I guess you feel this forum is not used this way. Thanks for your knowledge sharing.

Think of the casing as the peel around an Orange. We simply remove it by slicing with a knife and 'peeling' it off.
Sorry for the confusion; happy to teach what little I know.

So how is this usually finished/served? do you just use it like you would unsmoked baloney for fried baloney sandwiches?

So how is this usually finished/served? do you just use it like you would unsmoked baloney for fried baloney sandwiches?

Personally I would do just that... Slice it, fry it up, and on to a sandwich. But, to be honest it's so good you can even just cut it up and eat it. Also great cut into thin slices and cubed for a cheese and cracker plate.

Late but heres how I do it, I cut slices about 1" apart from 1 end to the other all the way around about 1/2" deep. rub with mustard and then a favorite rub, come back in about 2 hours and give another shake of the rub as the slices will open up and you can get some rub down in them.

Back