Picnic Shoulder questions

EdP

TVWBB Member
I've got a 10lb picnic shoulder thawing for later this week. I'd like start it in the morning between 6-7am and it serve it as pulled pork that night around 6-7pm.

After I trim the skin and fat, should I plan to brine it for a day before it gets rub?

I'm going to try wrapping with butcher paper, when it hits 160 or before the bark gets too dark.

So, should I target 275 degrees to be sure there's plenty of time to rest?

Should I take it off the smoker at about 200 degrees internal temp, like a lower temp (225) smoke?

Since I'm going to wrap with paper, I assume the wrapped time will be longer than wrapping in foil.

Thanks for any advice.

I've not done that specific cook but I'd cook at 275 to shorten any stall. I'd worry that cook could take a lot longer than 12 hours at 225. Paper wrapping is fine, but try to get it as tight as you can. The wrapped time will be longer than foil. It's ability to get you out of a stall is not as good as foil. Take it off when it's tender. It may be higher than 200 with the higher cook temp, but it won't be a ton higher.

I agree, go a little hotter, the lower temperature would make the smoke run well over 12 hours, I might think it might run a good sixteen at that temp. By the time you skin and trim you will probably cut almost two pounds off the weight. Bear that in mind when you start.
You can brine and rub, why not? Adding flavor is rarely a bad idea, as far as I know! Have a good time!!
We expect a full report.
I wonder if you trim the skin leaving reasonable amount of fat and smoking that, well seasoned, maybe finish it off over some really high heat to crisp it up? It’s just calling out to be crunchy, salty, flavorful and, the perfect snack for chef with a tequila or ice cold beer! Maybe both?
Darn it, now, I want that for dinner! Maybe another day.

Last edited:
I agree, go a little hotter, the lower temperature would make the smoke run well over 12 hours, I might think it might run a good sixteen at that temp. By the time you skin and trim you will probably cut almost two pounds off the weight. Bear that in mind when you start.
You can brine and rub, why not? Adding flavor is rarely a bad idea, as far as I know! Have a good time!!
We expect a full report.
I wonder if you trim the skin leaving reasonable amount of fat and smoking that, well seasoned, maybe finish it off over some really high heat to crisp it up? It’s just calling out to be crunchy, salty, flavorful and, the perfect snack for chef with a tequila or ice cold beer! Maybe both?
Darn it, now, I want that for dinner! Maybe another day.

I plan to use spog with some paprika for rub, I'll skip the sugar to avoid burning @275 +/-

Just wondering if it makes sense to brine before smoking at this temp.

you've got me thinking about using the skin, i saw a video with a dry cloth wrapped around the skin for the first few hours

Agree that the cook is likely to take longer than 12 hours. I typically plan on an overnight, with the meat going on at around midnight. A 10-pounder could easily take 14-15 hours at 250° (my typical target temp). We like bark, so I'll often cook unwrapped, only resorting to the Texas Crutch if I need to speed things up near the end. A 3-hour rest is a good target.

Jeff

Agree that the cook is likely to take longer than 12 hours. I typically plan on an overnight, with the meat going on at around midnight. A 10-pounder could easily take 14-15 hours at 250° (my typical target temp). We like bark, so I'll often cook unwrapped, only resorting to the Texas Crutch if I need to speed things up near the end. A 3-hour rest is a good target.

Jeff

Trimmed it should be about 8lbs+ and I plan to wrap it with butcher paper. I'm planning to cook @275 so if I get it on the smoker at 6am, I'm hoping to be able to serve it between 6-7pm.

I'd rather not cook this overnight, or the day before & reheat.

I'm going to cook 275+ today, highest temp I've run this thing to date.

dvrbxT9.jpg

5NYAsfk.jpg

Ive done picnic shoulder because it was dirt cheap....0.79/lb.

Butt seems to taste slightly better to me

Here's a pic I just took, it's 180 degrees

I started the smoker at 6am, no water/clay pot and plate, with a couple small half logs of apple. It went to a little above 300 at first but I was able to settle it about 280 and it's pretty much stayed there.

Shoulder went on at 6:30, I added another small log at about 8.

I was going to wrap it but it looks I won't need to, so I'll just wrap it in paper when I need to put in a pan for the cooler.

AO3sKqH.jpg

Ive done picnic shoulder because it was dirt cheap....0.79/lb.

Butt seems to taste slightly better to me

yep, this was a little over 10 lbs and was under $10, but there's more work/waste getting the skin off before trimming

Back