Another Rotisserie Question

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
IHi, I ended up using the rotisserie on my N/S burners(pic in photo gallery). Was an experiment but meat was juicy and tasty(not the greatest cut though)
Boy that 330 can produce some heat. I had 2 outer burners on minimum and kept getting temp in the 350 range. I ended up prying hood up an inch or so to keep heat in 300 range. Two questions:
1. Is it ok to prop up lid?
2. Can I use one burner when using the rotisserie to keep heat even lower. My thinking is since it is spinning 1 burner should b ok? Am I right? Thanks. George

George, yes, propping the lid open is fine to try to get the optimal temp. And, as far as I know, using just the middle burner is OK because, as you say, the meat is continually spinning. However, I would consider putting a drip pan below the meat to deflect the heat around to the edges which essentially creates an indirect heat.

First 350 on the thermo may not be actual 350 inside. As for propping hood. I would not. The hood is part of hat little hope you have of getting somewhat even heat. I honestly don't even know why Weber even bothered to make a rotisserie kit for the NS grills anyway. With that said you could try what Bruce said but keep in mind you NEED some water in the pan and you need to check it often as the heat from the burner will turn what drops down there to foul tasting smoky burned residue in nothing flat

Hi, Thanks. What I meant is skewering the meat from the sides rather the ends and putting the drip pan in the middle and only turning on the left burner or only the right burner. Skewering the meat from the sides worked fine using the N/S burners, so that didn't seem to be an issue. it's just being able to use only the far left burner or the far right one by itself? Thanks. George

First 350 on the thermo may not be actual 350 inside. As for propping hood. I would not. The hood is part of hat little hope you have of getting somewhat even heat. I honestly don't even know why Weber even bothered to make a rotisserie kit for the NS grills anyway. With that said you could try what Bruce said but keep in mind you NEED some water in the pan and you need to check it often as the heat from the burner will turn what drops down there to foul tasting smoky burned residue in nothing flat

Why was it a mistake for weber to make one?? didnt the OP just state that in the first post it was "juicy and tasty"? Isn't that the goal?

He clarified his method. That being said if you follow my posts and many of the other members you will understand why Weber isn't doing anyone favors making a rotisseries for a grill clearly not meant or designed for it in the first place. You will note I tried extensively to make my NS burner Summit 450 work with a rotisserie and noted it was a waste of effort and time.
Now George the answer to your question is no it will not work to use only one L or R burner as you will have half raw food.

First 350 on the thermo may not be actual 350 inside. As for propping hood. I would not. The hood is part of what little hope you have of getting somewhat even heat.

I don’t know, Larry. Isn’t that exactly what Broilmaster builds into their grills with that side handle that lets you prop the grill slightly open in two levels, I believe? I assumed this was designed to allow lower heat for low and slow, but I would think it would also help with rotisserie cooking.

Hi, I kept wavering back and forth for 10 days on whether selling the Silver C was the right thing to do but I have decided I made the right decision. Even though it was in great shape so is this E330. Mayb I sacrifice some rotisserie capabilities but I can still do it with the side skewer. This 330 is taller so easier to work with. I love the enclosed cabinet-less concern with animals accessing the grease tray although I do empty after a cook. I like doing a lot of indirect cooking so I do like the N/S configuration. I admit I had a fondness for both grills, and I loved doing whatever little restoring I did. Son tells me I should take it up as a hobby. I do have a tendency to peek at the local Marketplace ads. Thanks for everyone’s help and sharing of knowledge. George

I don’t know, Larry. Isn’t that exactly what Broilmaster builds into their grills with that side handle that lets you prop the grill slightly open in two levels, I believe? I assumed this was designed to allow lower heat for low and slow, but I would think it would also help with rotisserie cooking.

They have that prop as an "option" I think it is a $50 "upgrade" :D I had it on my BM but never saw a reason to use it ever. In the owner manual they indicate it can be used to reduce smoke in your food. I.E, sometimes to get a simple "broil" effect it's nice to grill with the lid up. But then too much heat may be lost. So the BM theory is it helps hold in the heat but releases the smoke. My thoughts on it are MEH pretty useless

All of the Broilmasters I restored had one of those. I didn't know that it was smoke reduction they were after. One regret I have is that I never got to test before restoring and selling any of the Broilmasters I had doing a two zone low and slow BBQ. That's when I figured that I would actually use that lever, to keep the temperature down. But reducing the smoke factor would be the opposite of what I would be trying for. So, like you, I probably would never use one.

I am on the lookout for another Broilmaster, though!

Back