WSM 18.5” charcoal grate mod

Hi all,

Any preference as to this mod...use second charcoal grate criss-crossed over the first, or the expanded (?) steel grating over the grill?

thoughts?

i use it with lump charcoal to keep the fines from falling thru.

I did use baling wire to secure the charcoal ring to the grate to keep it from moving.

Totally unneccessary imo. At least with briquettes.

People have said expanded metal plugs up .....so probably don't want to do that...

Last edited:
I agree with this Martin as far as briquettes which is all I've ever used in my WSM. I really want all that ash to fall under the grate as easily as possible. If you just really find you are using a lot of charcoal then I'd go there. With lump I can see really wanting to keep the smaller pieces from falling in and the ash not being as big of an issue.

Yea it's just for lump for the crosshatch or x metal.
But wiring the ring to a grate makes it easier to shake out the ashes .

Tim

So does attaching handles to the grate, and handles can hold the ring in place

Yes, just finished using u-bolts as handles and attaching them to the cross-crossed grills...have the smoker fired up as I send this. Seasoning it with a first burn and then away we go!

Thanks for all the thoughts and feedback,
JA

So does attaching handles to the grate, and handles can hold the ring in place

I get the handle mod, but IMO have never seen a need.:)
The charcoal ring has holes perfect for slipping fingers into, (built in handles).
And if you want to turn it over for a dump, you still need to wire or zip-tie the grate to the ring, or am I missing something?

Tim

I get the handle mod, but IMO have never seen a need.:)
The charcoal ring has holes perfect for slipping fingers into, (built in handles).
And if you want to turn it over for a dump, you still need to wire or zip-tie the grate to the ring, or am I missing something?

Tim

Ive dont dump my ring.
I shake ash out of coals, and put new coals on top

Back