Dome Temp Gauge 100 degrees high?

KGSchannen

I've had my 22 inch WSM for 4 or 5 years now, and the 18.5 before that. First smoke of the Spring this AM and I notice that the dome lid temp gauge is reading 340+! The CyberQ probe at the grate is 230. I dangled another iGrill2 probe through the top vent and it reads 223 nearer the top. So clearly the other probes are correct.

Obviously the 340 on the lid is wrong, but it's never been whacked like this before. Is there something specific that I can fix/clean/adjust to get the dome gauge serviceable again. I guess I don't care THAT much, but its disconcerting to glance at it and see ~350 degrees. :eek:

Normally they read cooler, not hotter so it's defiantly whacked.
Consider it a hood ornament and use what you trust.

Tim

I had an unusual dome thermometer, it read very close to my probes, until it didn't, lol
Now it's half full of rainwater, reads 0 degrees, and I just ignore it.

I have never used the lid thermometers. When I first got a wsm 10 plus years ago I used an oven thermometer on the grate and with my current wsm I use a cyberq cloud. While the cloud is certainly more convenient the results are the same with either one.

I have never used the lid thermometers.

Me either. The dome will be hotter than the rack. I use this Smoke thermometer. Its has a grate clip, so you can get an accurate reading right where the meat is cooking.

It is wireless, and has programmable HI and Low set points.

YTEWpBy.jpg

Back