Good remote thermometer?

May I politely suggest that Thermoworks (one of the forum sponsors) has a few nice options? They are far from the cheapest, though.

I have the thermopro you linked, works fine for me. I did need to buy a case for it, it's hard to get back in the box. I do wish there was a way to turn off the alarm, permanently. for smoking, it has no low water alarm, only the upper. been using it regularly for about a year now with no problems. when I use the remote, I use it about 20 ' away, works fine at that distance. I'm happy with it.

I use a Maverick ET-732 and it works for me. I also don't see a problem with the one you linked to but if you want to spend the bucks, Thermoworks makes a quality product.

I have used the Thermopro for a year now with no issues. I've checked it for accuracy it's right on. Wireless range for me is not an issue 40' away through plaster walls. I think great for light use backyard BBQ.

I bought a morpilot 6, which works fine

But one with a warning if goes below a programmed temp would have been better for running a smoker overnight

I basically asked the same question a couple years ago. I bought the thermoworks smoke. It works great,but I rarely use it anymore.
I bought an IQ 110 temp controller and there is really no need for me to check temps because it holds the smoker close to whatever i dial in on the knob. https://pitmasteriq.com/ For checking meat temps I use a cheap thermo pop https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB. It is quick and easy. I am more for quick and easy as opposed to the tinkering side of this.
Don't get me wrong. I am not trying to say you don't need a good remote thermometer. But what I am trying to do say there is more than one way to skin a cat,and my nice temp probe setup stays in the box for the most part anymore while my smoker is running.

Thanks Fred BW —- this looks good. Seems like it would take a lot of the fussing out of things.....

Any adaptor required for use with a WSM?

No,it comes with everything for the WSM. It is pretty simple to put on. Just open the vent put the dog food bowl against the smoker and tighten the wing nut.
If you truly are thinking about going down the automatic temp control road. Do your research. There is a forum on this site devoted strictly to automatic temp control. There are several different controllers. You can go simple like my IQ110. Or models you can change temp with your phone while fishing at the local fishing hole,and make charts with all kinds of circles and arrows. My IQ 110 doesn't hold rock solid temps like some here want. But it holds plenty close enough for me. I looked at them pretty hard for a couple weeks before making my decision,reading the archives on the ATC forum and trying to decide what I really wanted. I am happy with my decision. I have had it over a year now,and use it every time. From short cooks like ribs to long cooks like brisket

I have a very similar thermometer but, even simpler, same company, I love it, get the extra probes...JUST in case. They can get damaged, mine have not and this is the third summer.

If you are going the ATC route, I’d consider the “BBQUBE”. Daz is a member and posts some informative comments, also, his unit is designed to fit in an ABS ammo box! Totally self contained, using a rechargeable battery pack.
I’m leaning toward that one myself.
NFI, just like his design!
He showed a huli huli chicken a few days ago, damn skippy!

Last edited:
Like a few others here, I'm a big fan of ThermoWorks products and recommend them to anyone who is looking to buy. They have a huge selection of items that can fit your needs from a simple ThermoPop to the Thermapen Mk4 in the instant read category and from the DOT to the Signals 4-Channel meat and air probe units.

If you're just looking for simple, reliable grate monitoring, a DOT with an air probe is a great choice. If you want a few more bells and whistles, look at a Chef Alarm. Personally, I use a Smoke 2-Channel system on my Kettles and WSMs when I'm not using my Stoker II WiFi.

Spend a little bit more for superior quality and the product will serve you for a lifetime!

I use a DOT, it's so simple even I can use it.....:cool: , simple is good...

My son on the other hand is an engineer.. the more bells, whistles, and alarms the better!

Back