Grilling 2 Birds...Help

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
According to Webers Big Book Of Grilling...grill spatchcocked chicken INDIRECT HIGH
I have a Genesis II 3 burner (burners oriented front to back)

What is the best way to set up the grill for 2 spatchcocked chickens OR 4 halves of chicken for INDIRECT HIGH grilling ???

I assume the birds will have to rotate during the cook as the back half is hotter than the front half. Best temp to target ???

Thanks for your help.

IOW your burners on on the left right and middle? Controls in the front? Simply turn on the outside burners and cook the birds in the middle. You should almost have enough space

exactly what I thought...almost enough space

what about putting one half bird on the raised warming rack with the other 3 halves in the middle of the grill?

Unless you're trying to grill 2 buzzards I am sure a couple chickens can be finagled in there

2 bird report:

They were 5+ pound chickens. I planned for a 90 minute cook (the last spatchcock cook went an unexpected 90 min.).
The grill was setup for indirect cook. Right and left burners on 3/4 high.
Three of the four bird halves straddled the middle burner. The fourth half was on the warming rack just above.
Turns out the fastest cooking position was the 'warming rack'. A surprise to me. I rotated the halves to cook evenly.
Bad Plan. The birds were done in 60 minutes. The chicken was overcooked but not dry.

None of the sides were in the oven! The oven roasted broccoli cooked quick-no problem.
The squash casserole needed 35 minutes or so.
It all came together and all plates were clean. A success but poorly timed.

From Webers Big Book of Grilling:

Pollo Diablo
Marinade:
3 T olive oil
3 T orange juice
3 T lemon juice
2 T fresh rosemary
1 T garlic
1 T red pepper flakes
2 t salt

soak 4-6 hours before grilling

Steve;
It sounds like you did pretty dern well for a first time cook! While it is fresh in your mind, write a few notes down on the recipe. Then, the next time, you'll have the timing better.

Years ago, an acquaintance of mine made a statement regarding a particular activity: "You have to do a little bit before you know how"....

No matter if a person has general experience, handed a new task (two chickens indirect), it is seldom that you make a "home run". You did well, however, and next time, you'll NAIL IT! Plus, I suspect you have helped others who have the same or similar equipment. That's what helps to make this site so very useful to us all.

Good job!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

To be clear though Steve, you didn’t do a spatchcock, you did split chickens.
Spatchcocking leaves the bird in one piece minus the backbone

Back