QuliMetal Grates

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi
Just received a set of grates from Amazon-QuliMetal grates that are advertised “Made of SUS 304 Food grade; non-magnetic”
Well I put a magnet on it and turned it upside down. Guess what. Yep, magnet held tightly. I wanted 304. Any recommendations. I thought these were supposed to b good?? How about Honsgro(sp)
George

George,

I will try that out on my grates and post an update.

The Qlimetal flavorizer bars that I recently purchased DID pass the magnet test. I will say that even my Weber OEM stainless grates for the Genesis 300 did not pass the "magnet test" but I never found them to be a problem.

Bruce has some of the Hongso grates, so hopefully he can test his and report back.

If you want 100% sure high grade stainless you need to stick with reliable US made stuff. I think everyone here would agree that Dave Santana (aka rcplanebuyer on eBay) makes the finest that you can purchase. His are definitely all 304 stainless.

Really anxious for your replies. I am upset at the false ad claiming 304 non magnetic. Can someone check how much the explainer grates for the E330 would be and the exact URL for his website. Thanks. George

Update:
I took a magnet that grabs very well to regular steel and tested it on various stainless grates I currently have:

Uniflasy- mildly magnetic
Qulimetal- mildly magnetic
Broilmaster- non-magnetic
Weber Genesis 300 - mildly magnetic
Unidentifiable but nice stainless grates that came with a Silver C I picked up - strongly magnetic
Current/3rd generation Summit grates - mildly magnetic

I guess this shows that the really high-end (Broilmaster and obviously rcplanebuyer) stainless grates ARE completely non-magnetic. What the difference between the mildly magnetic ones and the non-magnetic is - or for that matter, compared to the highly magnetic stainless grates- I do not know. I can say that the mildly magnetic Genesis and Summit grates have seen years of use and look as good as the well-used Broilmaster set I have.

To find Dave Santana (rcplanebuyer) go to the San Francisco Bay Area of Craigslist. Try searching for Weber bars or Weber grates and look for a listing from Burlingame. It will discuss how he makes his own high quality parts. Doesn’t matter what the ad is selling just message him about what you are looking for. Tell him you heard about him here on TVWBB. Here is a link, but it won’t last indefinitely.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/for/d/weber-flavor-bars/6894811491.html

Last edited:
Thanks for info. I called Amazon and complained so they will send me a replacement set. I was under the impression that the totally non magnetic would last so many years longer. I guess when I get replacements will keep. They are nice and heavy and seem good. I don’t think the Weber ones have any better qualities and they r $40 more??i would imagine the rcplaner ones got to be in the$200 range if not more? George

I definitely think the Qulimetal grates are at least as good as the Weber ones. I haven’t tried a Hongso set as of yet, but Bruce gives them very good reviews as well. I think you will do just fine with what you have. It is not like you are skimping with really cheap thin grates. Obviously, if money is not a big deal, rcplanebuyer grates are the top drawer. You certainly would find his products very satisfying and they will outlast whatever grill you put them on.

I think according to data on Amazon these r the heaviest of the popular ones they sell. Only midwestern hearth(?) ones r heavier and 8mn but pricey

George,

I agree. While, like most everyone here, I would extol the virtues of rcplanebuyer quality, it doesn't mean that everything else should be lumped into a "junk" category. Like everything else, there are various levels of quality and diminishing returns on how much more quality additional money buys you. I think you will get great service out of your Qlimetal grates, and with reasonable care they should also last a very long time.

Thanks for info. I called Amazon and complained so they will send me a replacement set. I was under the impression that the totally non magnetic would last so many years longer. I guess when I get replacements will keep. They are nice and heavy and seem good. I don’t think the Weber ones have any better qualities and they r $40 more??i would imagine the rcplaner ones got to be in the$200 range if not more? George

I have 2 sets of the Q so will also test them like Jon did we in another thread I think we discussed the slightly magnetic as being 403 or something like that which actually in some cases can be better regarding salt water climates like Jon lives in. If you want to drop 130 or better for the R grates you get the Mercedes of grates otherwise the half price Honda works just fine meaning the Hsongo or the Q or whatever as long as they are not strong magnetic which means they are not stainless.

Thank you. I replied on Craigslist to rcplaner asking price of. grates for my E330 but haven’t heard back yet. I can’t find prices anywhere on line. One thing I noticed is Quli has 17 rods whereas Hingis has 15. George

Ya, I couldn't find the grates for the E330 on his Ebay store, matter of fact I don't think he's ever posted that on his store (or don't remember anyways). Hopefully he gets back to you soon and has the grates you're looking for.

Was curious how much they would be. I think for my purposes the Quli should b fine but 9mm thick grates would have been nice. George

Hi
Just found these on Amazon. They come from Grill Parts Zone. They are 9mm solid 304 stainless steel. They are like $100...any opinions/experience with them? Thanks George
nRN7ISu.jpg

They are made(?) by American Fire Gas Products.....I believe the Grill Parts Zone is out of Vancouver, Canada. I think I will give them a try. Only problem is they take a week or so to get here. Expedited shipping is too much. At least if there is a defect they pay return shipping since it is a third party seller through Amazon

Last edited:
George, i have an idea if they have Free delivery in Canada ...send it to me and i can redirect the items to you Via Canada post and then on to you Via U.S. Post. With insurance. Just an idea...

All I can say is if it was my grill I'd go RCP-I did and absolutely no regrets . You do get what you pay for.

It is free shipping to US. It Has already shipped. They do pay for returns if defective. How much r u looking at for E330 grates by rcplaner. I have received no response from him. George

Hi
Just received a set of grates from Amazon-QuliMetal grates that are advertised “Made of SUS 304 Food grade; non-magnetic”
Well I put a magnet on it and turned it upside down. Guess what. Yep, magnet held tightly. I wanted 304. Any recommendations. I thought these were supposed to b good?? How about Honsgro(sp)
George

Honsgo grates I had did not stick AT ALL to a magnate.

Back