Coney Island Dogs and Slaw

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
I was looking for something quick and simple for dinner after all the Smoke Day cooking over the weekend. My wife had put together a great slaw earlier in the day and I decided it's been too long since I'd had Coney Island Dogs. A few days ago I'm made a fresh batch of the chili I use for the dogs so it made for a simple cook last night.

Here's the chili I use for the dogs. Shots taken over the course of a couple of hours simmering on the grill.

enhance

enhance

enhance

The Dogs. Casper's.

enhance

enhance

enhance

The dogs were good. I've been doing them for a few years now. My plan was to watch the game but by the time I turned it on the score was 7 - 1 Marlins. Scratch that. I just drank beer. Anyway, back to the dogs. Just buns, the dogs, the chili, yellow mustard and chopped onion. My wife's slaw was the real winner. Cabbage, onion, bacon and blueberries and other good stuff. Fun night, except for the game. Thank you all for looking.

Way to do it you two. Dogs and slaw both look great. Think that's going to be on our menu next week.

The chili dogs and slaw look excellent! Don't think we have Casper's around here.

Ballgame-wise we were flipping between Blues hockey and the Cards game, until the Phillies went up 11 to 1 :mad:
Then it was all hockey, that game turned out much better.

Well, my turkey sandwich for lunch ................. was not near as good as those dogs look.

Alas .........

Those dogs look great!

I have an original recipe for the chili used on the Coney Island dogs that was passed to me from a family member. Good stuff!

This is why I could perpetually live in a "tailgate" status - chili, dogs, slaw and other yummy toppings! Not to mention all the other tailgate mainstays!

Great Looking Dawgs! OMG! :p It is dangerous looking at this forum late at night, because next thing you know I am digging in the fridge wanting to fire up a grill!:wsm:

That's doing it up right, Cliff! It's been all I can do since I saw this post to keep from whipping up a batch of chili and slaw, then heading to the store for a package of Casper's!

Stellar, my friend!

Rich

I've been eager to make a sweet-ish Coney Island sauce for dogs. Your version looks great.

Thanks Monty. I make it all the time and keep it handy in the freezer. It's not really my version. I got it from a video a couple of years ago by Russ Jones. I've posted the recipe before but if you don't have it here it is. It has a pretty decent kick to it as well.

Ingredients

Water 2 Cup (32 tbs)
Beer 12 Ounce Mexican Beer
Lean ground beef 2 1⁄4 Pound 93/7
White onion 1 , chopped
Extra virgin olive oil 1 Tablespoon
Chili powder 1 Tablespoon
Salt 1 Tablespoon
Cumin 1 Tablespoon
Cocoa 1 Tablespoon
Garlic 6 Clove, crushed
Crushed red pepper flakes 1 Tablespoon
Bay leaf 1
Diced tomatoes 14 1⁄2 Ounce (unsalted can of diced tomatoes)
Unsalted tomato sauce 8 Ounce (canned sauce)
Pickled Serrano peppers 6 , diced
Prepared horseradish 1⁄2 Teaspoon
Corn starch 2 Tablespoon, dissolved in ¼ cup water

Instructions

1. Pour water in a deep pan, followed by Mexican beer. Now add lean ground beef, and break into a fine mixture and brown in liquid.
2. Heat extra virgin olive oil in a deep pan and saute onions in it. Add chili powder, salt, cumin, cocoa and garlic, and saute for a couple of minutes. Add the ground meat along with the liquid.
3. Add red pepper flakes, bay leaf, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Mix well and simmer for an hour.
4. Now add serrano peppers and horseradish, and simmer for another hour. Mix in corn starch water solution and cook for a couple of minutes until the chilli attains desired thickness.

Back