2nd cook on my 14” WSM: mini pork butt

J Robb

TVWBB Member
My supermarket had a special on some mini pork butts (approx 2# each). I’ve never done one before so I figured it would be a cheap experiment. I’m 6 hours in and the internal temp is 160°, so I think I’m finally moving past the stall - it was stuck at 150° for almost 2 hours.

It’s pretty breezy today and I noticed when the wind picks up it really makes the temperature in the smoker spike. I hit 305° at one point and had to shut down the vents for a while. Otherwise I’ve been consistently running between 225-250 most of the day.

miniporkbutt1.JPG

At 4 hours:

Miniporkbutt.JPG

Congrats! Our WSM 14 is our most used for the wife and I, major plus is the racks fit in the kitchen sink compared to the 18 & 22 that are to big for inside cleaning

Finished product

Took it off at 197°. Turned out pretty good, with good smoke flavor (apple wood). It was tender, but not as juicy as I would have liked - not dry either, but no real juices after I pulled it. Maybe because of its size there was less interior area to hold juices? Not sure, it’s the first time I’ve ever cooked one. Any input is appreciated.

miniporkbutt2.JPG

miniporkbutt3.JPG

Nice work! My local supermarket has similar sized shoulders in from time to time, so this is really useful to see done.

What's the shelf you have fitted? Looks really useful.

Back