Weber Ng connection question

Mike Ma

Finally getting a chance to hook up my refurbished Weber genesis golf. But I’m not sure what connectors I need? Any advice would be greatly appreciated (edited with link removed)

Last edited:
Sorry I have no intention of clicking on that link as I have no clue what it is. If you're posting a photo use Imgur with the appropriate links and your photos will show up. Otherwise I ain't clinkin on no strange link

Thanks for the tip - I saw people were using Dropbox on other posts I was searching so just used onedrive.

Here is the imgur pic:

hCvW26n.jpg

Sorry I have no intention of clicking on that link as I have no clue what it is. If you're posting a photo use Imgur with the appropriate links and your photos will show up. Otherwise I ain't clinkin on no strange link

It’s good to be cautious but this link is ok. It’s a one drive link to a photo. I think you need a. 3/8” black pipe, about 3” long to connect the two. Use natural gas pipe dope on the threads and check for leaks afterwards. Watch a YouTube video to understand how to do it. Bring this picture to a good Hardware store and someone should get you the right pipe.

looks like all you need is a short nipple and yellow teflon tape for use with gas. Make sure the gas valve is off unlike the on position in the photo before you start. I can't tell if it is going to be 1/2" or 3/4" NPT. Personally, I'd use a street elbow pointed down so the quick disconnect doesn't stick out so far. You's still need the short nipple too.

You just need a "nipple" in the length you like. I would guess a 3" would be just fine but if you don't ant too much protrusion a 1" is fine as well. Make sure to use black iron NOT galvanized as the zinc reacts with natural gas. On that size (3/8" NPT) you can use either PTFE NG pipe dope or the yellow NG tape. I keep both and use whatever is closest to me on that size pipe. Some find dope easier to use just slap it on and screw it in rather than wrapping with the tape.

Make sure to use black iron NOT galvanized as the zinc reacts with natural gas.

I used to think the same cause that's the way I was taught until NI-COR moved my meter from inside my attached garage to the outside. All the nipples and fittings were Galv. I had to do a double take cause at first I thought they were SS. I asked the guy and he said no worries, things have changed and we wouldn't use it, if it was a bad thing.
https://theplumber.com/will-natural-gas-corrode-galvanized-pipe/

Tim

I would still never do it. Especially buying my pipe at a home center. Maybe the gas company can get stuff that's certified. I doubt if I walked into Menard's, Home Dept hat have you the galvanized I buy would be safe or certified for NG. I will stick to my advice to the OP. Be safe use black pipe

Back