Prime rehabbers weekend

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Everyone looking for older classic Webers should watch the for sale sites close later this weekend and into early next week. Stores are running Memorial Day sales and people are buying new grills...The old ones get put out to pasture and it is your chance to score.

Good luck and post up some of the great scores you come up with over the next 6 or 7 days.

Oh yeah, Bruce, this should be prime time! It will have to be really extraordinary to get me to bite, though. Working on cleaning house of what I already have. But I will still be watching:coolkettle:!

Wow, there is a 1000 for sale near me for $25! I haven't seen anything like that for a long time around here. I'm not going to gun for it (we are going to a barbecue tomorrow) but I am happy to see that.

Good point. There is Platinum C in my area. But the floor is rusted out and it is NG. And the doors are missing ( which I have). But the seller is still asking $100. way to much. But I will keep my eyes out for other flippers. I guess will get back into it if the price is right.

Yah, I will only be jumping for great deals, unique models that are convenient to pick up. But, this is the time of year to get them.

Oh, and keep your eyes on that Platinum C. If it sits much longer, throw out a low ball offer. I did that with a guy on a Silver B today. He had it listed for $50 for 4 days and I had an appointment in the area so I dropped a $25 offer and he jumped on it.

Sometimes I wonder if offering a case of beer and ten bucks would be a better idea. After all, these sellers have grills. The beer would be an incentive and get their motors running.

Just a thought.

Slainte!

Tim

Hey Jon T, are you going to have another article written from OfferUp about your latest projects?

https://blog.offerup.com/curb-to-refurbbq-37c7ddd8f29d

I can't believe it's almost a year already since that article was written!

HOLY COW! Look at that. Our boy Jon is famous. Thanks for posting Sam, I had not seen that before.
Great work, Jon.

I hope to score a deal or two this weekend, but the weather here is really putting a hurt on things.
Basically never-ending rain, something crazy like 25 out of the last 30 days, and more to come
for the next 5 before it looks like things may finally start to dry out. It has also really stalled the
progress of my new deck. It should have been done 2 weeks ago, yet, is only about 1/2 done.

Speaking of the deck though, CL and FBMP seem to be the place to score a serious deal on
patio furniture. Just as the occasional guy will give away a grill for pennies on the dollar,
many folks will do the same with outdoor furnishings. This could easily be a gold mine for a flipper,
however, you would need some serious storage space to do it properly. Example yesterday,
$2500 set, 2 years old, sold for $200. Lady posted that she was selling due to a color change
she was going for. We have a certain idea on what we are looking for, so I may be off chasing
furniture at some point this weekend instead of a grill for a change.

Yep, that patio furniture sells for 100's of dollars new but used it goes for pennies. I would NEVER buy a new set. I have a table and chairs that I bought at an auction for $40 8 years ago. The only thing with rehabbing and flipping is that you usually don't have a "name brand" to pitch. It might be a great set of furniture, but people just don't pay good money for a used set, no matter how nice it is. At least, that has been my experience.

Here's one that I picked up for free earlier this week:

0VCwkqxh.jpg

The cross piece on the frame is the worst one I've ever seen (and I've picked up dozens over the last two years):

rxTWa6lh.jpg

I was going to part it out, but I was able to find a used 60145 weber rack locally for a good price. I have the parts already to repair the frame, so I think I'm going to bring it back to life.

The side burner was missing the trivet, but I was able to find that locally too.

I would be careful of that frame. With that much rust in the one piece, it might be just a matter of time before another part of that frame fails. But, it will be a great grill when you are done if you do fix it up.

Patio furniture scored. Table, 6 chairs, umbrella base,
$100, found and home on the deck in under
90 minutes. Surprisingly, there was not
a single grill posted yesterday worth a darn.
If you want to pay $150 for an 18 WSM, or $50
for a plain old black 22 inch kettle this
is the place to be though. There seems
to be around 50 of those. I have been busy
working on projects and may have missed a few
though. Planning to put the finishing touches on
a Silver A, Silver B, Performer, and Sequoia and
post all of them by days end.

Yep, that patio furniture sells for 100's of dollars new but used it goes for pennies. I would NEVER buy a new set. I have a table and chairs that I bought at an auction for $40 8 years ago. The only thing with rehabbing and flipping is that you usually don't have a "name brand" to pitch. It might be a great set of furniture, but people just don't pay good money for a used set, no matter how nice it is. At least, that has been my experience.

Any tips on buying patio furniture? I don’t know anything about them such as what are the good brands and what to look for.

They are definitely popping up around me

I am trying so hard to say "No!" to any more acquisitions when I already am so far behind and still struggling to keep family and tax clients happy, too. It's hard not to notice, though, that the weekend has brought out some new good deals:

Here's a Q300 that looks pretty nice for just $60 SOLD!!!

fowSpbE.jpg

https://us.letgo.com/en/i/0394c979-...08-42c1-a31f-56863c105df3&pid=af_app_invites&

Here's a redhead Spirit II that looks like it would clean up like new for just $120. I am really tempted by this one. Just would like to try it out thoroughly to have an honest assessment and then clean it up and flip it for twice the price: SOLD!!!

jaS76ac.jpg

https://us.letgo.com/en/i/weber-grill-trying-to-sell-asap_17819947-e60f-4bab-8f3e-12b5da154cc3

Here's an earlier Spirit with a stainless hood. Predictable rusted bottom but only FIVE DOLLARS - Sounds like maybe even free!

W6emFPJ.jpg

https://us.letgo.com/en/i/60cdba10-...d=af_app_invites&af_sub5=conversational&refer

Or, how about a nice Platinum One Touch Kettle for just $60? You can see why my restored kettle now marked all the way down to $75 has gotten absolutely NO responses SOLD!!!

yUkFFPY.jpg

https://offerup.com/item/detail/684013358/

Last edited:
Here's one more...

I left off this pretty nice Genesis Silver C that even has BLACK KNOBS! Only asking $60. I spent a good bit more than that trying to source that exact side-burner and I had to buy a gray knob for it and paint it black. This one deserves more than being parted out, though. I have a green Silver hood that might give it a little more spazazz, but alas I just don't have time and too many to finish already...:(

VSx04yr.jpg

https://offerup.com/item/detail/684629083/

oh wow... I've never seen an '05 C with black knobs.. i'd love to find the part number for that side burner knob.

You can actually take a regular knob and cut the stem off. The remaining stem goes up far enough in the knob to be used on the side burner.

Back