Weber Go Anywhere Pork Butt and Chuck Roast Cooks

Jepprey P

TVWBB Fan
Setting up the Weber Go Anywhere for an indirect cook.

92uDSTR.jpg

Lower vent closed on the left, open on the right. Top right vent is closed and the top left is open.

SoXSHp4.jpg

Small pork butt placed on a rack.

LrOITAK.jpg

Almost done! Plenty of charcoal left. Barbecue sandwiches are next.

FOXgzpW.jpg

Another day, another WGA cook. Two chuck roasts on the Weber Go Anywhere for Pepper Stout Beef Sandwiches.

rBmhpRd.jpg

The cook is on!

hSKxwau.jpg

The chuck roasts are ready to transfer to the beer and vegetable (red onion, garlic, and bell peppers) bath.

jMQSWNl.jpg

The chuck roasts with the beer and vegetable (red onion, garlic, and bell peppers) bath, getting ready to get covered with foil and cooked until tender.

lyhZKnX.jpg

Pepper Stout Beef Sandwiches ready to eat.

ZZf9M3a.jpg

That’s an extremely amazing two cooks on the Go Anywhere. I love the set up on that little guy! Thanks for the post Jeppery. Both the butt and chuck roast look delicious.

Holy crap, these cooks are amazing! Way to show off the versatility of that little cooker! That looks like a fine camping setup for some good L&S bbq in the woods!

Thanks for posting these, Jeppery! Would you mind sharing a bit of detail around the length of the cook, charcoal lighting technique, how often (if at all) you replenished charcoal, etc?

Rich

I think it’s time to get mine out and give that a try! Mine is still a Virgin!
Maybe this season! Very nice work Jepprey, I’m impressed.

Thanks for sharing, the food looks amazing. I have one of those little guys and I think I've only used it twice. I need to change that.

Holy crap, these cooks are amazing! Way to show off the versatility of that little cooker! That looks like a fine camping setup for some good L&S bbq in the woods!

Thanks for posting these, Jeppery! Would you mind sharing a bit of detail around the length of the cook, charcoal lighting technique, how often (if at all) you replenished charcoal, etc?

Rich

Thanks Rich G and all for the positive comments. I did not come up with this setup on my own. A guy with the username Phubar, from the Netherlands, on another BBQ forum inspired me with his Go Anywhere cooks. Actually, there were a few forum posts a few years ago where him and his friends and family all brought their Go Anywhere charcoal grills to a park for an annual get-together. They cooked anything from appetizers to a couple of racks of lamb to dessert dishes. Since I was headed to Germany back in 2015, I figured I would have to do my cooks away from my apartment and in a park or other open space. Phubar's (and friends') Go Anywhere technique was the answer for my European dilemma.

To answer your questions, Rich G, here you go:

Length of the cook: I really didn't keep track. The meat was between 3-4 lbs. each, so I think total cook time was around 6-8 hours.

Charcoal lighting technique: Minion method, one Weber Lighter Cube or 4-5 charcoal briquettes lit in a charcoal chimney added to to as many briquettes I could fit in my homemade, expanded metal divider.

How often (if at all) you replenished charcoal: again, I didn't keep track. Probably 2-3 times with a handful (6-7) of briquettes. I just eyeballed the charcoal spent level, looked at the meat internal temp, and made a guess on if I needed to cook for 2-3 more hours. So, if I had to guess, replenish with 6-7 briquettes every 3 hours?

These Weber Go Anywhere cooks were low stress, fun cooks. With the vent settings, I think it stays in the 225-275 degree temp range. It's kind of like the WSM or Kettle, where it's a set-it and forget-it temperature consistency.

Thanks, Jeppery, appreciate the additional details. I'm going to have to pick one of these up (don't tell my wife), and play with it a bit before we go camping. This looks like the perfect way to while away a lazy day in camp, tending to dinner! :)

Rich

Kevin L, my Weber Go Anywhere is a 1993 model (P) and aside from the handles (glass-reinforced nylon handles on the current Go Anywhere versus wood on the older models), the design elements (bottom/top vents and charcoal/grill grates) are the same for both the new and old models.

This post alone is going to be responsible for my purchase of the the Go Anywhere. And, because I have a disease I'm going to buy the charcoal AND the gas versions. When my wife complains I'll send her to THIS post. You've been warned. lol

MikeLucky, no problem - I'll gladly take the blame. ;) I do have both gas and charcoal Go Anywhere grills. The gas version I picked up on clearance at Wally's (around August) for $25 a few years ago! Versatile compact cookers.

I have 2 Smoky Joes, and was thinking about getting the 18.5" Jumbo Joe when we retire in a few years and using it as a daily grill.
But your pics may have changed my mind! That bad boy will cook up a storm! Low and slow too! Hmm, time to put my thinking cap on!

MikeLucky, no problem - I'll gladly take the blame. ;) I do have both gas and charcoal Go Anywhere grills. The gas version I picked up on clearance at Wally's (around August) for $25 a few years ago! Versatile compact cookers.

Yeah, wife and I have a teardrop camper and use a Jumbo Joe for charcoal grilling/firepit and Q1200 with a half grill griddle. But, with space being at a premium in the teardrop those go anywhere grills might really be a better choice.

Back