Questions on a Weber gas grill for my Son.

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
A friend of his Father is selling this for $150 with two propane tanks.
I have zero knowledge on Weber gas grills and he's asking me if this is a good deal?

Tim

Last edited:
It's all going to come down to what it looks like on the inside. Are the grates/burners/flavorizer bars in good shape?

Also what shape is the inside of the cabinet.

Heed Jason's advice. My second grill was this exact one. I was so excited to have the lower doors and I didn't pay any attention to the rust in the lower left of the cabinet. The problem is that the lower pan is a structural member for the rods that hold the doors in. If you take the pan out the doors now have nothing to sit on. It actually doesn't even have a lower frame bar under the doors but just a bit of thin stamped steel. So if you take out the rusted pan and chuck the doors you will end up with a frame that is very wobbly due to a critical structural member being missing. I ended up taking everything out of that frame and swapping it over to another frame that didn't have the doors. Luckily my donor sacrificial grill was free. Forget about what it looks like inside. It is that lower pan that will be your deal breaker. I learned the hard way. Oh and to replace that pan (which you can) will cost $180.

Also check for frame rust on the left side in between the fire box and the upper frame rail next to the thermoset (plastic) shelf. Odds are good that this grill is going to have rust in both spots. I do really love this grill and I hope that I am wrong. This grill does have great potential (maybe). Judging by your post count you are no stranger to TVWBB. Welcome to the gas side of the house!

Last edited:
Yep, first thing to look at is the inside of the cabinet. Particularly the bottom panel. If it is all rusted, then move on. The frame on the left hand side next to the cook box is another issue right where the bolt goes through to hold the cook box to the frame. That small area is prone to rusting out really bad and sometimes you can't really see it until you get the cook box out. If there is rust or paint bubbling on top of the frame cross member in that spot, you can be rest assured that it is much worse on the inside of the cross member. That, however is not unique to that grill model. It basically affects all the older Genesis and Spirit grills.

Bottom line if it s clean and rust free throughout it's a decent deal. Otherwise no. Around here I am finding comparable grills for as little as $25

Back