Looking at a new Genesis II 335

MikeRut

I'm pretty much settled on this series, I'm just trying to decide if the stainless steel grates are worth the extra money over the porcelan covered iron grates. What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Rut.

The genesis II is a very nice grill. I prefer the stainless grates for the exact same reason as Sam. They are definitely more durable and they seem easier to keep clean to me.

I love cast iron, but what they sell now is always porcelain plated. Nice for a while, but sooner or later it starts to chip (and get into your food:p) and then becomes the worst of both worlds. Peeling porcelain but still needs regular seasoning to prevent rust.

If the Weber Genesis II you are looking at is the one with the 9mm stainless grates that gets my vote. I especially like the open cart crimson version. I also personally like the Ace indigo color, but I don’t think you can get the 9mm stainless with that and it only comes with a closed in cart.

This one I saw at a grill store definitely did:

U81B3mr.jpg

2xO9Lg7.jpg

BBQGuys.com has it:

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grill...ition-propane-gas-grill-crimson-61032201-2019

The 9mm is a pretty decent step up from 7mm and would be enough to draw me away from cast iron if I was shopping in that league.

If you prefer the closed in cart, you could go with this one from Ace and when your cast iron shows signs of going upgrade to "rcplanebuyer" stainless grates:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/gas-grills/8017320

Yah, get the stainless grates. 7mm are good but the 9mm grates are fantastic. No rust, no flaking porcelain, easy to clean and care for, heat up and hold heat well. Unless the cost is a big difference, it is a no brainer in my book.

I just bought the E-335 and got home depot to knock off enough coin to buy the replacement SS grates for it from Weber.

I tossed around 7mm or 9mm. But the opinions i have found around the various sites is that 7mm are preferred unless you want very thick sear marks.

Typically, they will have smaller gaps between the bars which helps prevent food from falling through. The 9mm also carry significantly more mass which helps the grill retain heat after the lid is opened. Then you just have the "more is better" factor.

They will both outlast any other grates by many years and the 9mm probably a few years longer than the 7mm grates, but both are pretty much lifetime grates unless you really neglect them.

Sooo.... You guys had me doubting the 7mm decision, so i just called weber (my 7mm grates are still in the mail due to arrive on monday). I told them I made an error and ordered the wrong grates and wanted to get the 9mm now. They first said no problem the extra cost is around $50. I then asked if I would have to pay return shipping on the 7mm when I get them. She said hold on and put me on hold for a minute, when she came back she said here is what we will do, we will send you the 9mm grates at no extra charge and keep the 7mm dont send them back! This floored me, I thanked her a couple of times LOL. This is the first weber BBQ i have ever purchased, I should have started with weber years ago!

So I will have the cast iron grates that came with the E-335 and 2 sets of SS! I guess its justifying the price I paid for the Grill.

Last edited:
Yah, Weber C/S gets some bad pub on this forum at times. Other times, it seems like they bend over backwards for the customer. I have had mostly good luck. But it does seem to be a bit of a crap shoot. By the way, I would try to sell the 7mm set. By the time you feel like giving up the 9mm set and putting in the 7mm set, your grill will probably be turning to dust.

Well this is the third time i called them, first time to ask about the upgrade to SS. I hadn't even bought the grill yet at that point so she made a case # for me and told me to call back when I purchased the the grill and the quote would be on record which it was and it all went smoothly. They were VERY nice to deal with.

If anyone is wondering the SS grate part numbers for the Genesis II 300 series (2019) are as follows:

66802 - 7MM
66805 - 9MM

They also fit the LX models. They are not the same as the Genesis 1 300 series.

So I was putting the grill together tonight and got to wiring attaching the side burner. The photo referenced 2 wires that should lead from somewhere on the side burner to the control module. I could not find any wires attached to the side burner. Can anyone tell me where they originate from? The gas control? The ignitor? I don't see where they would go. Guess I'll have to call CS Tuesday to see if I can get what I'm missing. BTW, those 9mm grates are heavy. Can't imagine they won't last the life of the grill, assuming they are made of decent material.

I see no reason to change the flavorizer bars in this grill they are already thick stainless as are the heat deflectors as well.

Last edited:
So I was putting the grill together tonight and got to wiring attaching the side burner. The photo referenced 2 wires that should lead from somewhere on the side burner to the control module. I could not find any wires attached to the side burner. Can anyone tell me where they originate from? The gas control? The ignitor? I don't see where they would go. Guess I'll have to call CS Tuesday to see if I can get what I'm missing. BTW, those 9mm grates are heavy. Can't imagine they won't last the life of the grill, assuming they are made of decent material.

My E335 had 2 orange wires attached to the side burner and I had to thread them through the main harness and plug into the ignitor module. Maybe they are tucked up somewhere under the side burner.

Back