Feeling dumb...help me feel better!

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I did something really dumb yesterday. Bought two tri-tips at Costco to smoke this Saturday on WSM Smoke Day. Stuck the package in a cooler bag by itself, without ice packs, did some other shopping, came home, put away the groceries, and forgot the package of tri-tips in the car...for 9 hours! A waste of $43!

Help me feel better by telling me something stupid you've done! :D

qMrP8q2.jpg

I sold one motorcycle because "I didn't have room", bought another the next day, spent more on parts than most people would pay for the bike, and I just got back from Harbor Freight with a motorcycle lift and another work cart.

68892_W3.jpg

I make more than my share of dumb mistakes, getting more forgetful in my old age. Most of mine are forgetting where I put something.

not real recent, but I lost a head of cabbage in my truck, by the time I found it it had liquified in the hot sun & ....... you can't imagine the smell.

Know the feeling. My burnt fingers from my sideburner screw up last week still provides constant reminders now that the blisters are starting to dry and crack open. Heck, I'll be doing something on the computer and not remember where I was going to click to next. Stupid stuff that happened decades ago I instantly remember, but what I did yesterday may be gone if not significant.

On more than one occasion, I've set frozen meat on the top of the stove to defrost (seems to defrost quicker there) only to forget about it until hours later. Mmmm - room temperature chicken...

My favorite game lately is "Where is the thing I just had in my hand!!?? I just had it!!??" I've looked all over to find my thermapen and sure enough it's in my pocket.

My wife thawed out some sausage I was planning to cook on the stove and what I found was half cooked sausage. I had to throw that out!

Been spending the last 3 months or so trying to find my battery charger. Needed one so badly went out and bought another. Yesterday went in a cabinet in the garage and realized I had been seeing it all along. Now I have 2. I guess one for each garage LOL (yes I have 2 garages)

Ever notice than when you do find something you've lost, or misplaced, it's always in the last place you looked?

Well Chris, you've certainly made me feel better...... knowing I'm not the only one. Did the same exact thing with some nice pork chops. After getting home I got sidetracked washing the truck and a few other chores. Realized what I'd done a few hours later. Went back to the butcher, chops in hand, and asked his opinion if still safe to eat. He looked me in the eye and told me, if he'd have done that in the meat department, he wouldn't have been able to sell them to me. I tossed them. Wasn't as costly as your as your slip up, but hurt just the same.

On more than one occasion, I've set frozen meat on the top of the stove to defrost (seems to defrost quicker there) only to forget about it until hours later. Mmmm - room temperature chicken...

Ah chicken tartare, yummy

I can only vouch for the fact that forgetfulness gets worse as we age.
Now what's your name again?

That's why I have a fridge in the garage... It's for when I go out there to get something and forget what I was after I just pull a cold one out and think about all the other things I've forgotten over the years.
I truly believe I have two brains, one is lost and the other is out looking for it.

Last edited:
One of my great dumb a** things I did was when I was younger I used to change my own engine oil in the car to save a few bucks. I drained it and proceeded to put five quarts into the engine which immediately found its way to the garage floor through the drain hole that I forgot to put the drain plug back into. What a mess!

My mother in law is from Peru. She is a really good cook and has made some things I have never heard of. My wife and daughter were out one night and I was on my own for dinner. My MIL had been at the house earlier that day. I found something in the fridge that had onions, parsley and something I couldn't identify. It smelled good so I ate it. When my wife got home she asked where the tupperware was that her Mom had left, I said that I ate it. She asked if it was good and I told her yes. She then told me that it was raw ground chicken that they were going to make into patties the next day. I waited to get sick but nothing happened. Now I ask if I don't know what it is.

Funny dumb stories here and I'd like to add mine, there's plenty, but they escape me at the moment.
Maybe tomorrow.

Pammi and I had gone grocery shopping, and went home to put them away before heading out to check out a distillery that set up in an old prison. It's about 45 minutes away from here.
We went there and then went antiquing for the afternoon.
We got home and I noticed the take and bake pizza we'd bought that morning for dinner that night. In the back seat. 8 hours later. In 70+* weather.
Yeah, we had delivery pizza that night!

Back