Replacement bottom grate options for older 18.5” WSM?

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
My 2005 era WSM is finally ready for a new bottom grate. The one on Amazon is $40 :confused: and would either like a cheaper source or if any of our aftermarket options will suffice?

I mention that mine is a 2005 model in case there is a difference. Sometimes there are.

I think it's the same size but the new version has handles. On the Weber site they charge $24.25 for it and on Amazon I found one for $23. Call Weber customer service to make sure of the size.

Bottom? Charcoal or Middle grate?
You could also buy a regular Weber grate for an 18.5" kettle.
It won't slide down all the way on the straps but sit a little higher on the bolts.

Tim

What I'm looking for is the 18.5" bottom cooking grate...sometimes called the lower grate. But not the charcoal grate.

There is a grate on Amazon right now for $22.99. Problem is the shipping is $9.48. Last time I bought one, I think I paid about $35 from Weber including the $9 flat shipping fee.

Weber # 80624 Lower Cooking Grate for 18-1/2" Smokey Mountain Cooker: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00EKNWGV4/tvwb-20

It's the right part number and the right dimensions.

If you call Weber at 800-446-1071, you can order unlimited stuff and they charge a flat $9 shipping fee. So if you need a new charcoal grate or want to put back another lower cooking grate or need parts for a kettle or gas grill, that might be the way to go.

You *can* use a charcoal grate for the 22.5" kettle, as they are ultra cheap ($10.99) and readily available at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. I would clean and season thoroughly before use because the metal isn't ready to cook on as is.

If you need more Weber stuff, call Weber. I always get a discount if I buy multiple items.

Back