I have a decision to make

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
So, I am about to start my next rehab. It was going to be a Gold B, but the frame was toast and the cook box was broken. I have another Gold B, but the cook box is also badly warped and the hole for the igniter electrode is corroding away for some reason. So, that cookbox is bad as well and the frame while solid, has quite a bit of surface rust on it which would require a lot of stripping and repainting. Then, I have a Silver C with the side burner that looks pretty good overall. I could transfer all the Gold B parts over to the Silver C frame and make it a Gold B or I could just rehab it as is (Silver C). Or, I could turn it into a Silver C, with the Stainless Gold lid. I guess that would make it a Gold C???? I just am kind of leery of dealing with those stainless Gold B lids and the liners. I guess the only difference between a Gold and Silver is the stainless lid vs porcelain?

I have another Silver B as well and it would be a pretty simple rehab, but those are all I have done so far this year and was thinking a little shake up in my routine would be nice.

So, what do you guys suggest.
1. Gold B
2. Gold C
3. Silver C (all original).

That is how I am leaning. It would still all be original that way as well. Still waiting for other thoughts as well.

Yah, I have a couple of the SS lids and I prefer the porcelain ones due to that liner in the SS one. I think someone on this board combined the porcelain and stainless together (stainless outside, porcelain in) so it has the best of both worlds.

Yah, I remember that. I was amazed they could get the one lid inside the other cleanly. I actually have three SS lids now as I have a Platinum as well. I will use my best lid and end caps on that grill.

My 5 cents: In my area the SS lids sell much better than the porcelain lids. People like the bling factor. I had a Silver C with a green lid sitting for weeks. But when I swapped the the lid for a SS lid it sold within days. So I either clean up the inner liner or rip it out. The shinier the better.

I am afraid that if I rip out the liner, the new owner will get ticked if it discolors after a hot cook?

My vote is for the stainless hood on the Silver C body. The original Genesis 300 stainless hood grills did not have any liner. I know because I restored one. It is possible that there will be some slight discoloring but I don’t think it is a very serious issue.

You could restore it that way and then offer the buyer a choice of hoods. I am with Stefan that for some buyers the stainless bling is a big deal. You might attract a buyer who wouldn’t be interested in your regular Silver grills.

Personally, I would rather have a Skyline or almost any color Weber offered over stainless, but even I still like it somewhat. I think it is perfect on the Platinum with the matching stainless frame. But the Golds also look good with the black end caps and trim.

OK, I will have to swap over the a stainless front panel then too. I will do it with a stainless lid and see what happens. I will probably price it a bit higher than normal as well. If it doesn't sell, I will swap it with a regular lid and black front trim panel and see if that works better. I just have to get up the gumption to get it going now. I have the grill stripped down to a bare frame but can't seem to will myself to grab the putty knife or the angle grinder or the grill cleaner or regular cleaner.

Thanks to everyone for their input. At least now I have a plan and that is one more excuse out of the way.

Eh if a buyer has issue with the lid bluing a little just tell them how to clean it and it is a badge of honor showing they actually cook on it

Just scrubbing. Back in my motorcycle days we used Simichrome polish. Lots of work but great results

OK, I will have to swap over the a stainless front panel then too. I will do it with a stainless lid and see what happens. I will probably price it a bit higher than normal as well. If it doesn't sell, I will swap it with a regular lid and black front trim panel and see if that works better. I just have to get up the gumption to get it going now. I have the grill stripped down to a bare frame but can't seem to will myself to grab the putty knife or the angle grinder or the grill cleaner or regular cleaner.

Thanks to everyone for their input. At least now I have a plan and that is one more excuse out of the way.

I have advertised the same grill twice in the past. Once with a regular black lid for one price and once with the SS lid at a higher price. Both ads up at the same time. I took down both ads once either one version sold.

Stepha, that sounds like an interesting idea. How much more would you ask for the stainless lid and trim option?

I finally took some time today to work on my latest grill...probably the first day in two weeks. I got a lot done and just need to paint the frame, end caps and fire box and wire rack. It is going to be a Gold B with side burner or is that a Gold C.

Back