Broilmaster acquisition

Sam Bee

TVWBB All-Star
Guys,

I may be picking this one up later today...

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/331477837534249/?ref=messenger_banner

For the folks that have rehabbed this grill, how heavy is it? It's only going to be me picking it up and I hope the seller can help me load it onto my truck. Also, I know these are premium grills and the parts come at a premium price. I'm probably going to flip it as the chances of selling it are good now since it's pretty much the start of grilling season. How hard is it to rehab say compared to a Weber grill (Platinum or 3000)? Am I going to be biting off more than I can chew? Is there anything I should specifically take a look at before buying it? Thanks all!

Last edited:
Jon Tofte is the one to answer this. He did a beautiful one up last year. He may even have some of the parts you might need.

Wow, that is a steal! Looks to be the larger “3” model. I don’t have a whole lot left, but might be able to help you with a few parts and any experience I can share. These are actually relatively easy to restore and can do both low and slow indirect bbq and fiercely hot grilling. The grates are what will set you back the most. Hopefully you can redeem what is there now. One cool feature is the ability to set each of the three grates at one of three different levels, providing the ability to have different heat zones simultaneously.

Good to know Jon. All I'm worried about is lifting this thing onto my truck since it'll only be me that's going to pick it up. Is it really heavy? If so then can the pieces be taken apart quickly and easily?

Follow up. It is not excessively heavy because the firebox and hood are both cast aluminum. Thicker than a Weber but still not heavy since it is aluminum. See what the grates look like and how old the burner appears to be. Looking at the picture I am guessing they are old but maybe still usable enough for a flip. The manifold is small but hopefully ok since parts add up. The one challenge you will have in flipping is that Broilmaster is just not well known. Someone who does know them will appreciate the quality, but it is not like the Weber name that everyone knows. They are kind of old fashioned looking in a fuddy duddy way, so their appearance isn’t their strong point. I sold two to people who know me well so they trusted my recommendation. The other was bought by a lady who I don’t think would have known the difference between a Broilmaster vs a Charbroil. So I guess there is a luck element, too.

Last edited:
Jon, I have noticed that as well by buyers. Some are really nit picky and discerning and others don't even care to hook it up and fire it up before loading it up and driving off. I have even had people tell me not to bother pulling out the cooking grates and flavorizer bars so they could see the burners and inside of the cook box.

Thanks Jon, yah I know these are not as popular as Weber but there was one on CL in my area that sold for about $500 and the ad was up for only about a week.

Yep, but I wonder sometimes when I see an add on CL or FB MP and all of a sudden it is gone. Did they get full asking price or did they sell it for less. But in the case of the Broilermaster you speak of, if it was only up for a week, I would expect they got pretty darn close to full asking price.

Yah Bruce, I figure if they got at least close to their asking price then that's still a good sell. In my case, if all looks good and not much has to be replaced then I think I can still come out ahead. I know that the starter already needs to be replaced per the ad and I've been looking at burners for the grill and they run at around $80+ for the genuine ones. I'm hoping the grates are still good as that would be another one that is expensive to replace.

Well, I missed out on the grill. It may be a good thing though because I really wasn't all too excited about it, maybe because it would have been uncharted territory for me and who knows how long it would have taken me to get it up and running. And of course, the replacement parts come at a premium price. Oh well, on to the next one!

Funny you should start this topic. I just bought new parts for my post mounted Broilmaster today. It’s about 15 years old and still works great.

Back