Italian Meatballs Grilled

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
After wanting some pasta and meatballs, I researched recipes then decided to do the unexpected: grill the meatballs.
I'm guessing they were 2-2 1/2 oz each and grilled direct with medium heat for approximately 20-25 minutes.
Very tasty, I'll post in recipes.

As a paison I am having real issues wrapping my head around this. Part of the joy of meatballs is browning them with EVOO and garlic than cooking your gravy in those drippings and finishing the balls in that same gravy.

Meatballs add a lot to sauce. because I decided to grill em, I put some pulled pork in the sauce. Not very traditional!

I put Chianti and some fava beans in...just because! “Slurpy sound” ... apologies to movie fans but, it was just waiting to be said!
Larry, I’m with you but, I’m not such an “old Dog” that I can’t “attempt” a new trick once in a while.

Well a true dego knows it's called "gravy" i,e, Sunday Gravy if it has meat. And that gravy is cooked slowly with all the nicely browned hunks of meat i.e. the braciole, neck bones, spare rib trimmings, meat balls and sausage, slowly simmered to perfection and ladled over mostacolli, rigaone, or some other ribbed tubular pasta. "Sauce" i.e. marinara has no meat. There are 2 schools of thought long simmer or a shorter cook, and a little spicier. In both I usually will ad about 1/4 cup of vodka. Ads no flavor but helps meld the fat based flavors of the tomatoes and everything else. Cooks out and leaves no after taste. I use that instead of putting in wine as wine ads a heaviness in some cases I don't find as pleasant. Anyway being old school Italian I don't go in for all these weird additions and changes. Also than one of the great joys of Sunday gravy is eating the gravy meat after the pasta course but before the roast comes to the table

I have to agree with you..."one of the great joys of Sunday gravy is eating the gravy meat"
In particular, I remember pork butt, chicken and braciole

Chicken was something we never put in. Only pork beef and veal no poultry of any kind in Sunday gravy at our household. My grandma and my mother would be flipping in their graves :D

I'd sure like to try some of the authentic & traditional, but my approximations based on descriptions or what I've tried are usually very respectable.

I've done meatballs on the grill.......and in a CI pan on the grill. I've even eaten them microwaved from a bag from Costco :)

Last edited:

Back