Silver Stainless Grill Lid heat shield

JCampanella

There is a heat shield on the inside of my stainless grill lid to keep the stainless from discoloring. There is space between the heat shield and the stainless lid. It has burned a hole in the heat shield metal. Is there anyway to replace that heat shield? What have others done? Thanks.

It must of have been doing something as now that there is a hole in the heat shield the outside of the stainless lid is starting to color brown right above the hole in the heat shield. The heat shield appears to be bolted on but I cannot find a replacement for it. I don't believe the porcelain lids have the heat shield so my guess it is protect the stainless from becoming discolored due to heat. Thanks.

Of course there will be some slight discoloration as where that hole is the lid will be hotter there and any dirt, grease, what have you will discolor on the surface. There is no replacement (except for a whole new lid) and it does nothing functional. Many here have simply gone after it with an angle grinder and cut it off. You may get SOME bluing on the lid but nothing horrible and easily cleaned off with nothing more than a scothbrite pad in the direction of the grain. Believe me it's better without it as once it starts to go little pieces if it will begin falling into your food and those little crunchy bits are NOT good eats

It must of have been doing something as now that there is a hole in the heat shield the outside of the stainless lid is starting to color brown right above the hole in the heat shield. The heat shield appears to be bolted on but I cannot find a replacement for it. I don't believe the porcelain lids have the heat shield so my guess it is protect the stainless from becoming discolored due to heat. Thanks.

Yes that heat shield is to protect the outer SS lid from discoloring. But these heat shields tend to rust out. Starting with small holes which are getting bigger and bigger. On the older Genesis grills they were welded to the SS lid. On two grills I restored they were so badly rusted I had to cut the heat shield out. And no I did not replace it. I don't know how they are mounted to the newer grills. But I don't think they can be replaced individually.
How old is your grill and are you the original owner? Until about 2005 Weber had a 25 year warranty on the SS lid. If yours falls in that range you can get a free replacement. But the new lid will be black enamel with a SS handle.
And yes the older grills with the enameled lids did not have these heat shields. This is why I prefer these over the SS lids.

The one thing to be said in favor of those heat shields, and why I think Weber uses them on the newer porcelain hoods in addition to stsyones, is that plain porcelain allows carbon to build up in perfect sheets that peel off like paint. The hest shield gets dark but the carbon doesn’t form those peeling sheets.

Yes, kind of a lose/lose situation:p. I do agree that the carbon sheeting can be cleaned off and prevented with a good maintenance program. The heat shield, on the other hand, is ultimately doomed to fail. If they made it easy to replace the shield and they were readily available for purchase that might be ok. Seems like you have to buy a whole new hood instead:mad:.

I have heard that one of the steady complaints Weber customer service has to deal with is customers convinced that “paint” is peeling off their porcelain hoods. That is why I think they went to putting them all their hoods, stainless or porcelain.

Last edited:
I have three stainless lids now that I will be having to deal with. I haven't looked at any too closely but want to keep them if I can. I am hoping to spray them down with the Sams club grill cleaner and then take some household SS steel wool to them. But, if necessary, I guess I will be cutting them out.

Keep in mind Brice Weber did not use quality SS on those hoods. If you use household stainless on them you will have little pin points of rust from flecks of steel wool left. Use scotch brite (only time I recommend use of that stuff BTW)

Larry, yes, I will do that on the outside of the hood. I am more concerned with the inside heat shield right now.

Yes that heat shield is to protect the outer SS lid from discoloring. But these heat shields tend to rust out. Starting with small holes which are getting bigger and bigger. On the older Genesis grills they were welded to the SS lid. On two grills I restored they were so badly rusted I had to cut the heat shield out. And no I did not replace it. I don't know how they are mounted to the newer grills. But I don't think they can be replaced individually.
How old is your grill and are you the original owner? Until about 2005 Weber had a 25 year warranty on the SS lid. If yours falls in that range you can get a free replacement. But the new lid will be black enamel with a SS handle.
And yes the older grills with the enameled lids did not have these heat shields. This is why I prefer these over the SS lids.

Yes, I am the original owner. I think I bought it in 2005 or 2006. Would like to keep the stainless lid as I like the look of it. Thanks for the info.

If you are the original owner then I would register it. Based on the year you might still be entitled for a new lid. It will be free but the new lid will look like that:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pmm7wtxY7LTqRVeV7
You can clean the inside of the SS lid but that inner liner will rust away eventually. I have removed them on two grills last year and the lid looks like this afterwards on the inside.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/c4owyeVy6dem1ebLA
But eventually the outer lid will discolor and might turn blueish or brownish because it is no longer protected from the heat.

That looks good, do you know how the outside of the lid looks after a few uses without the liner?

Where did you steal those platinum thermoset tables from. I need a pair of the swing tables myself.

If you are the original owner then I would register it. Based on the year you might still be entitled for a new lid. It will be free but the new lid will look like that:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pmm7wtxY7LTqRVeV7
You can clean the inside of the SS lid but that inner liner will rust away eventually. I have removed them on two grills last year and the lid looks like this afterwards on the inside.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/c4owyeVy6dem1ebLA
But eventually the outer lid will discolor and might turn blueish or brownish because it is no longer protected from the heat.

I did register it and they are sending me a new lid, however it is black like you show.

It is already starting to discolor (turning brown) where the hole in the heat shield is. I guess I will continue to use the stainless lid until it looks so bad I have to put the black one on.

You gotta love the Weber warranty. But these new black lids still look nice and they are easier to keep clean than the SS lids.
I started with a Weber Silver B and a black lid which I bought new around 2006 as a closeout model. Then last year found a free Gold C which I refurbished. But I personally never fell in love with the SS lid. The grill (meanwhile on a Platinum frame) now has the blue lid from an old Silver B. I just love the older colorful lids from Weber.
But I understand that many folks prefer the SS looks. I had more success selling refurbished grills with SS lids than with colorful enameled lids.

Last edited:
You gotta love the Weber warranty. But these new black lids still look nice and they are easier to keep clean than the SS lids.
I started with a Weber Silver B and a black lid which I bought new around 2006 as a closeout model. Then last year found a free Gold C which I refurbished. But I personally never fell in love with the SS lid. The grill (meanwhile on a Platinum frame) now has the blue lid from an old Silver B. I just love the older colorful lids from Weber.
But I understand that many folks prefer the SS looks. I had more success selling refurbished grills with SS lids than with colorful enameled lids.

Ha! I'm just the opposite. :) I bought the Gold B at a grand opening of a home depot where they had them really discounted as a promotion for the new store. Paid about half of normal. There was a Weber sales rep there buying 2 of them as he couldn't even get that much of a discount. I think the home depot got in trouble for it. Then last year I see a Silver B sitting on the side of the road with a free sign on it. Was real dirty but solid. Only thing wrong with it was feed tube to burners were plugged with rust. Cleaned it up and works fine.

By the way: Try some baking soda and vinegar on a soft cloth to remove the heat stains or at least make them less obvious. It has worked for me.

Back