Hawaiian Pork/ Kalua Pig

Tyler Smith

Any one try this on a WSM?

I was wondering if this could be done?

Some methods I have read about included a pork butt rubbed with salt and/or garlic powder, wrapping with banana leaves or bananas. It has been recommended to additionally wrap in foil, but I am not sure if this would allow it to be smoked vs steamed?

Any thoughts on this one? :

Thanks,

Tyler

Tyler,

You're talking about pig parts, not a whole suckling pig, right?

Welcome to the board.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

There is an event in St.Thomas this weekend, at the old railway yard. Pro is Fri Sat, and amatuer is on Sun. That isn't to far down the road if you have time to check it out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave K:
There is an event in St.Thomas this weekend, at the old railway yard. Pro is Fri Sat, and amatuer is on Sun. That isn't to far down the road if you have time to check it out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I missed this one, was there a weblink? Maybe next year I will come out?

T

Yes kalua pig or pork can be done in a WSM. It is a good substitute for an IMU. But it will take longer to cook than in the ground and the "flavor" will not be the same. In the imu it will take 5 to 6 hours to cook a whole 150 lb hog while it would take likely double that to cook several pork butts in a WSM. The Polynesians; Hawaiians, Samoans, Fijiians,and Tahitians had "pulled pork" decades before it became popular in the bbq world...
joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tyler Smith:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave K:
There is an event in St.Thomas this weekend, at the old railway yard. Pro is Fri Sat, and amatuer is on Sun. That isn't to far down the road if you have time to check it out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry I missed this one, was there a weblink? Maybe next year I will come out?

T </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a webpage, google Canada Southern BBQ championship, and should get you there, or in the competition forum at BBQtalk.ca for more info

Back