Brand New To The WSM

Mark Razz

Hi, I just received my new 22.5” Weber Smokey Mountain just in time for Memorial Day Weekend. I am upgrading from a Masterbuilt propane that I have had since 2014. I have been cooking on a Weber 22“ kettle for a two years now, so I am familiar with managing charcoal and I have a Maverick Et-732 Readi Check thermometer.

Two Questions: Is the WSM lid thermometer accurate?

Also, Any general suggestions on how to get the WSM up and running brand new out of the box? My first cook will probably be either Ribs or a Pork Butt.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Mark

The thermometer on the lid is accurate for the temperature at the lid. The temperature at the grate will be different. Do a pork butt to break it in, very forgiving while you learn how to control the temps in the WSM.

Test it: undo the bolt and stick the probe first in boiling water (but not the dial part). Should be 212o

Let it cool down then test it in ice water (not as important though). 32o

IF your high temp was say 215o, you know it's REALLY 212o Adjust any target temps accordingly: want 250? when it hits 253o, you've really got 250o etc

Unless its really out of whack after testing (like 15-20o), don't sweat it.

Put a thermometer you know to be accurate on each cooking grate and compare it to the lid thermometer during a couple of cooks. I did this with my WSM years ago and now just go by the lid thermometer. It will run a little hot for a few cooks (still manageable) but will settle in. Break it in with a couple of butts.

First,
Welcome, this is one of the most generous sites I frequent, many lessons can be learned from the fine folks here!
Second,
The first few smokes will be more erratic and frustrating than any subsequent ones.
Third,
I’d recommend getting a two probe thermometer (one grate, one food) and “trust” that one more, the dome reading can help but, may not “help” enough.
After a couple butts it will become more obvious to you with the dome temp. The food probe is the more important one no matter what either other thermometer tells you. Until the meat is ready it’s all nice to know but, adjustable.
Another thing, when you start to reach desired temperature (fifty degrees BELOW target) start to close down vents a little at a time. It’s easier to keep closer to target temp when you need to bring it UP a little than to try to bring it down.
As you get used to how it works, it gets easier. Also, as things get a little “gunked up” and tighter, control will get easier.
Fourth,
Wind is the worst enemy. A windscreen of any type will help. I have a scrap piece of plywood that has worked for me for years, I keep, redesigning the screen that I “think” I want.
After you do a few butts, you will be much more confident and might decide it’s time to get a bigger belt!
It’s a ball!
The kettle is more often than not my go to unit but, it is a completely different animal, they do not act or react as similarly as one might think.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Lots of help here. Your ET-732 will be a great assist. I compared my grate readings to the lid for awhile and found their difference would vary as the meat warmed up. My first cook was a Boston Butt and although I fussed with the vents a lot the pulled pork was great. I recommend a Minion start on your coals and with theNew Hampshire temps running cooler that Florida - 92° here today, i would recommend a full charcoal ring of unlit and 15-20 lit coals. 4 or 5 chunks of smoke wood. All vents fully open and then start closing them down to 1/4 open at 25° below your target temperature. You'll probably chase temp on your first cook but this might eliminate a big overshoot on start up. A long Pork Butt will give you practice and the meat is very forgiving of temp variations. If you do ribs first the cook will be shorter but the same startup will work. After the cook close all the vents and see if the coals extinguish. If they do you have a tight cooker. It may get hectic but have fun - it only gets easier.

The thermometer on the lid is accurate for the temperature at the lid. The temperature at the grate will be different. Do a pork butt to break it in, very forgiving while you learn how to control the temps in the WSM.

Exactly.
Put a 10 lb hunk of 40 F meat under gauge, its gonna read different.

And its not consistently predictable as some wish. Depends on what you cook, and temperature.

When i hung ribs vertical, it was was right on money with meat level temp. Other times it can be 25+ F low, or high. Depends on air currents inside and meat. Even two places on grate can differ widely

Last edited:

Back