Newbie help - first build issues

BrianDickens

Got everything (except for the damper) put together last night. Loaded the HM image onto my SD card, and nothing. The RPi wouldn't boot. Tried a few times, thought it might be an SD Card issue, but base Raspbian booted. I finally got the development snapshot to load, so I guess I'm good there?

So once it loaded, I am not getting temps on any of my probes. I have a pit probe and a food probe from my Maverick ET-732, and I don't get readings from either of them. I went into the hidden diagnostics menu and one of the ports is showing zero voltage. So I'll need to work that out. Are the probes numbered such that 0 is the pit probe, 1 is next to it, and so on? But the other three ports show 3.3V.

Any ideas what might be the issue? I know it's tough because it's a thing I build so could be anything. I'll look for bad solder joints. Would a short in one probe jack cause no readings on any of them?

UPDATE: The probe drops to 0 volts when i plug in one of the probes. I don't know if this is expected behavior or not. With nothing plugged in, they all measure 3.3V

Last edited:
I bought Thermoworks probes (one pit and one food) in case my Mavericks were too old for the HM. They work in the Maverick so seems like they'd work here, but I don't know. Good to start with fresh stuff I guess. I'm open to any other thoughts or help.

If you are troubleshooting a newly built heater meter and have new thermoworks probes then I highly recommend that you ditch the older maverick probes for now... Different model maverick probes have had different quirks with the HM, as far as I know the thermoworks Pro probes interface with the HM pretty much flawlessly.
Set all your probes to the TX-1001-OP preset and see what you get using the thermoworks probes? This is assuming you do not have the thermocouple pit probe option on your HM? There is one 10K resistor on probe 0 (pit) that you omit for thermocouple pit probe and install for standard pit probe.... make sure install (or not) depending on which type of pit probe your board is setup for.

There's different Maverick probes, but some of them are actually too long by about 3/32 of an inch. They will work if you don't plug them in all the way. Or put a small spacer against the plug so that it can't quite insert all the way.

If you are troubleshooting a newly built heater meter and have new thermoworks probes then I highly recommend that you ditch the older maverick probes for now... Different model maverick probes have had different quirks with the HM, as far as I know the thermoworks Pro probes interface with the HM pretty much flawlessly.
Set all your probes to the TX-1001-OP preset and see what you get using the thermoworks probes? This is assuming you do not have the thermocouple pit probe option on your HM? There is one 10K resistor on probe 0 (pit) that you omit for thermocouple pit probe and install for standard pit probe.... make sure install (or not) depending on which type of pit probe your board is setup for.

I didn't get the thermocouple option. I may regret it, but I gathered that for a smoker I won't need it. We'll see. I can always add it on later. I installed the resistors as the wiki mentioned for not having the thermocouple so I should be good there.

I don't have the thermoworks probes yet, but hopefully they'll work once they get here. Guess it's just a waiting game. Which is fine because I want to reprint some other parts.

- - - Updated - - -

There's different Maverick probes, but some of them are actually too long by about 3/32 of an inch. They will work if you don't plug them in all the way. Or put a small spacer against the plug so that it can't quite insert all the way.

That's interesting! I'll give that a shot if I get a chance to play with it today. Otherwise I'll just see if the new probes work better. EDIT: I just saw this in the wiki! Damn me for not reading the whole thing. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hell yeah! I remembered I had a probe from an iGrill mini my wife gave me. Plugged it in and I get a reading from my pit probe! All the probes work and now I'll have two working food probes. One probably not as good as the other, but good enough for now. Thanks for the tip on the dumb Maverick probes!

Back