Honda Stuff

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So Jon from Norway this is kinda for you. As noted I also have that little Honda 4514 tractor and the PTO was noisy. I decided it was the bearing that would be the equivalent of a throw out bearing in a manual clutch car. But Honda had cleverly crafted the clutch that pretty much all you could do was buy a $250 assembly.
The last 3 pics are what happened to the idler pulley and was able to "repair" a $50 pulley for and $8.00 bearing LOL
I didn't take photos of all the mods and work I did to the walk behind mower to get it running again. But home grown ingenuity won out over high priced Honda LOL
FwcBIvq.jpg

kb6mqwb.jpg

PMW1VL9.jpg

ECWvC4g.jpg

RthTJDe.jpg

x8mP42Q.jpg

Nice. Did you have to press fit the bearing or does it lock in through the assembly?

Last edited:
IN all cases they had to be pressed in. Though not hard with simple bench vice. Was fairly easy.

Good deal. I really appreciate keeping older equipment running. There’s so much life left in many things that people discard. I had a Cub Cadet riding mower and while I kept the engine running, eventually, I couldn’t get other parts I needed for the mower deck so I ended up getting a new machine. I was disappointed to let it go after only a bit more than ten years. Should have been able to keep it going for 25 at least.

Yeah I had an old 1961 Allis Chalmers B10 I bought back in May of 1990 (I got a baby girl and a "baby" tractor the same week). I totally rebuilt that thing, completely rebuilding the center gear box and mid PTO, steering gear, upgraded to a new B&S 16 hp cast iron engine as the 10 had bad rod bearings, rings, piston, etc. Kept that machine going very well until last year and needed some new parts (blades) and hydraulic lift cylinder and could no longer source them. So I sold it and bought a much newer Simplicity Sovereign with a Kohler Command 20 engine (original engine was a Kohler Triad and it blew up so a dealer did a re-engine upgrade to the Command Pro 20). In process of rebuilding mower deck, sharpening blades and so on. Bought the little Honda a couple months later as the big Simplicity was/is just a little too cumbersome for my wife. The little B10 was a much better sized/handling machine for our yard. The big Sovereign is like trying to maneuver the Queen Mary and with the 4' mower deck harder to get into places. Though I still ike it enough that I am considering just keeping both machines.
The old B10
KmJc6WK.jpg

Some shots of the little Honda
R3nCSTU.jpg

RRhw65D.jpg

GBCcLRa.jpg

and the Sovereign
6szdf8N.jpg

Nice Honda I have never owned one of them but have heard good things about them, hard to find a dealer only some a few car dealers carry the home equipment.
I have a 1997 John Deere GT 275 which I bought used 9 years old engine snapped a connecting rod through the block, I sourced a replacement 17 HP Kawasaki about 6 years ago still runs fine about time to trade up to a bit newer model, would love a 4 wheel steer or Zero turn 50 inch max so I can still get it in my barn , I have a lot of trees and an acre to cut.

Back