Gray or black meat

M Panosh

Longtime Weber Genesis Silver B owner. Have been having troubles lately with pork and chicken that comes out gray or black on the outside. Looking for help. Maybe I am not preheating the grill enough? Perhaps the grill is too dirty (I do try to keep it clean, though I have not cleaned the burners, have new ss flavorizer bars)?

Appreciate the advice and/or tips, thank you.

Having trouble wrapping my head around this. Do you mean the meat is "burned" "under cooked"? What is the texture like? The flavor? Though I must admit if I took grea or black meats off my grill tasting them would be the last thing I would do

Having trouble wrapping my head around this. Do you mean the meat is "burned" "under cooked"? What is the texture like? The flavor? Though I must admit if I took grea or black meats off my grill tasting them would be the last thing I would do

No, what I mean is that basically pork and chicken end up with a gray or black coating on the meat after it is done cooking. Like a film that covers the meat, makes pork look gray or a shade of black, same for the chicken. Not grill marks but a film or coating that can be partially wiped off.

Pics would help.... but that sounds like soot. You should have nice clear blue flames on the burners. If the flames have yellow tips, or worse, all yellow, you've got incomplete combustion due to not enough oxygen (or too much fuel.) Check the air inlets at the venturies.

Pics would help.... but that sounds like soot. You should have nice clear blue flames on the burners. If the flames have yellow tips, or worse, all yellow, you've got incomplete combustion due to not enough oxygen (or too much fuel.) Check the air inlets at the venturies.

I will do that. I have never cleaned the burners or any of that. I do have an issue where the middle burner does not always light right away when I fire it up, I'm assuming that the burner is dirty? Any advice re cleaning the burners and the air inlet would be appreciated.

I'm not too familiar with Weber Gas BBQ's but I am very familiar with natural gas appliances in general. You might want to check the air shutters on your burner too. If it inadvertently was moved to the closed position it could cause the sooting problem that JKalchik mentioned above.

Thanks guys I'll get in there after work and see what I can see. I've never cleaned the burners before so it's all new for me.

I know all the gas grills I bring up from the Valley need the air inlets to be adjusted because we are at almost 6000 ft. here. With Phoenix being just 1100 ft.

Last edited:
Odds are his air shutters are fine. They don't simply go out of adjustment. My guess is everything is dirty and clogged up IF the issue is "dirty flame". If it is not dirty flame than it could be copious amounts of grease burning off and leaving tons of soot

Back