Sunday Smoke Beef Short Ribs Plate

Chris S in YEG

TVWBB Fan
One of my bad habits when smoking is trying to smoke on an exact schedule and the vast majority of time I do not come close to my schedule. So on Sunday instead of stetting an end time and work back my schedule to when I should start. I just went and smoked. Prior to smoking the short ribs I looked online for a ball park amount of time it should take and found 5 hours as an estimate. Unfortunately mine took 7.5 hours. I used a basic rub of S&P and had my 18.5 WSM at 250 degrees. After 3 hours of smoking the ribs were at 171 so I wrapped them in foil. After 7.5 hours they were at 203 and probe tender. I let them rest for 2 hours while I had some family time. After the rest I tasted and they were very good. Unfortunately this was at 11:00 pm. so they went in the fridge for the next day.

(First time posting pictures so please bare with me)

orbTmKc.jpg

Simple S&P Rub

SZe7bH5.jpg

After 1 Hour.

CFPW85p.jpg

After 2 Hours

jR7Lchd.jpg

After 3 Hours

msQFURy.jpg

OV0V4cy.jpg

11:00 pm after 7.5 hours on the smoker and 2 hours rest.

Last edited:
Looks like some tasty ribs! Nice smoke!

On cuts that take a long time, I always add ca 2 hour buffer to what I think should happen. That way the meat is close to being done.

That looks delicious Chris. As long as you eat before midnight, it's a success! I've been pretty lucky with beef ribs, but early on I had a couple of pork shoulders that made me cry.

Looks like some tasty ribs! Nice smoke!

On cuts that take a long time, I always add ca 2 hour buffer to what I think should happen. That way the meat is close to being done.

With all the little things that could effect the duration of a smoke, I need to expand my buffer when I am expecting to eat at a certain time. 2 hours is an excellent recommendation.

That looks delicious Chris. As long as you eat before midnight, it's a success! I've been pretty lucky with beef ribs, but early on I had a couple of pork shoulders that made me cry.

My first pork butt turned out good. It was for a dinner party that we scheduled to eat at 6:00. We ended up eating around 8:00 with little rest time for the pork butt. Luckily appetizers kept the kids happy and beverages kept the adults happy.

Back