My Genesis Platinum B

ScottR

I started lurking here about a month ago to pick up some restoration techniques to use on my Fiesta grill. Unfortunately they don't have the parts availability that Weber has. Then about 2 weeks ago, this Platinum B followed me home with a the typical rusted bottom tray.(pic from ad)
YQsm0CV.jpg

Inspired by Bruce's How-To
I added 1" cross rails along the bottom

The factory Weber basket is now unobtainium so I used a ClosetMaid 16x48 shelf Model # 34726

Cut down
avP8Bo3.jpg

With some extra filing it fits across the rear rail
JI7o5sZ.jpg

I like the open cart but I can't bring myself to trash the stainless doors. I will be putting the cabinet back on once the other panels are sanded and repainted.

Thanks to the regular contributors here, I won't be buying another disposable grill.

Scott.
:genesisplatinum:

Well now that worked out pretty nice:cool:! Great idea. It looks like you got stainless tubing for the front and back horizontal framing. If you are going to reinstall those doors, you will have to figure a way to put in the hinge hole and plastic holders and the plastic buffers for the bottom of where the doors close. I am trying to do the same thing on my Platinum. Man, drilling those holes in the stainless tubing has been no easy trick and I still have a little more to do!:eek: Hope you have a drill press and high, high quality drill bits available.

I am still looking for a way to get stainless (or maybe aluminum) sides and back pieces made for this grill (as well as the identical Silver/Gold). If quantity will bring the price down to a realistic level, I hope to see if some others here would go in on purchasing a run. With shipping it will still cost a bit, but this is the only real problem with this Platinum that is otherwise the most durable Genesis Weber ever made. Some do not like the Platinum color and style, but I see it as a cool contrast to the black and colorful hoods/black trim and wood Genesis grills that I also love.

That looks great Scott! I was luckily able to purchase the bottom wire rack for my grill so I turned it to an open cart, it's the same wire rack that's used on the 02-03 Silver C.

HBSgueS.jpg

Pjj4Bts.jpg

That looks great Scott! I was luckily able to purchase the bottom wire rack for my grill so I turned it to an open cart, it's the same wire rack that's used on the 02-03 Silver C.

HBSgueS.jpg

Pjj4Bts.jpg

I have an extra Gold B rack. I am hoping that will fit my Platinum B

Thanks guys

Jon, I used chrome mild steel tubing...I had some. I only have half of the door hinge bushings but I found a nylon flange bushing at HD that fits the hinge pins and as a bonus the hole they require is smaller than the originals. Hopefully it stays warm and I can get some "body work" done on the panels. New panels would be nice but this is a bit of a budget refresh. I just missed a Maroon top Silver B before I found this one....I would have been happy either way

Sam and Bruce Lucky you were able to score a 60145, these grills look GREAT as an open cart.

Dave I'll get "finished" pics but they may be more "finished for now";)--I already have a few ideas for afterwards

Scott.

"Finished for now" pics. Cooked on it July 4th. :coolkettle:
Most of the wait was to run the NG line over to the grill. Besides the rusty shelf, the grill only needed a crossover tube, igniter and casters. It cleaned up pretty good too although I didn't go "bare metal" on the inside. I still want to do something with the hollow rear wheels and I have to mount the light again since they drilled into the side table to mount it. :(

1ZSDrsD.jpg

y9w0VzU.jpg

Oh and maybe pint the kettle red:cool:

Scott.

Scott,

That looks really, really nice! Your adaptation with the open wire rack bottom is how Weber did the original Summit. I think it will help a lot with reducing moisture build-up and thus slow rust re-appearing. What did you have to do with the other cabinet pieces? Looks like maybe you painted them silver. I am still hoping to come up with substitute parts, but for the small panel on the right I am going the rust treatment, silver paint route to make it blend better with the stainless.

You have a great grill:cool:, and with only a two-year run an uncommon one. It was really the last chapter in the amazing 20 year life of the classic Weber Genesis design. Enjoy!

thanks John
I'm hoping the open shelf will help with the airflow and drainage.

I cut the bottom lip off the cabinet pieces...not so much for fitment but because they were rusted too badly to fix.

A little bondo and gray paint and they looked pretty good. I painted the inside of the back panel silver because I ran out of gray :eek:

Scott

for the Stainless steel frame grills, you are definitely going to want to use SS tubing.

Leandro,
I should probably have used stainless but I had some chrome 1" mild steel around so I used that

Back