Losing Graph on refresh, is it normal?

PatrickOttCA

Whenever I refresh the webpage, or close the lid on my laptop (which causes it to disconnect for the network), I lose the graph values for my cook. Is this normal?

Raspberry Pi Model A Plus Rev 1.1
LEDE Reboot SNAPSHOT r3799-13006712ea / LuCI Master (git-17.078.53745-180f2d6)

Nope not normal, there should be a running database on the Pi that saves all the data (up to 24 hours). The web browser does build its own graph as well as it receives streaming data, so it could hide a problem happening in the Pi's process. Maybe check http://xxxx/luci/lm/hist and see if it gives you an error message about loading the history (xxx being the IP/name of the heatermeter).

You can confirm, but I think you can file this one in the "stupid user" bin. While I was testing, I never set a setpoint, I was merely letting it go, dunkin' probes in water, etc. For some reason my setpoint was "null". I guess (and it would make sense) the data is not logged when the meter is not actually "tracking" anything?

Last edited:
Huh, that's certainly weird. It should have a setpoint by default. I wonder if somehow there was a glitch in the initialization that caused it to get set to null. All the code expects there to be a setpoint at the absolute minimum to consider it a valid data frame so if it was missing all the database writing functions were just discarding the update. Glad you figured it out though, that was a real head-scratcher.

Glitches definitely do happen. The other day I had one probe showing CUSTOM rather than the preset I selected. I changed back to the preset and saved but it reverted back to custom, I tried several times. I did a fresh flash on the firmware and the probe went back to behaving properly.
If something in the software is wonky I suggest the first thing to do is flash the firmware.

If you download the appropriate .gz file from heatermeter.com/dl you can flash it to the HM via Config/System/Backup\Flash Firmware "Flash new firmware image" and select the gz file you downloaded. This will flash the firmware but not upset your settings, should connect right back to your wifi and everything...

Back