Stainless Steel Tubing

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Does anyone know of a low cost source for stainless steel square tubing That would match a Genesis frame (I think 1.25" OD)?
I was hoping to find some local but not having much luck checking HD and Menards web sites. Also, it looks like shipping would kill me with most of the online outlets.

You might try some area sheet metal shops. That is where I got mine from but at the time it was owned by a friend.

Jon, I don't live in an urban/industrialized area. But, I will keep my eyes open for something that might carry the stuff. Do you know if I need 1" or 1.25" square tubing for the Genesis Platinum?

If i knew a guy that could hook me up with a SS bottom panel and the three sides, I would be lovin it. I would probably put my Skyline lid on it and have my forever grill.

Bruce, you might want to try a local welding shop. I would think you would
likely have one of those somewhat close and I guarantee they are not buying
their supplies from a box store.

There are also numerous sources online.
I have considered https://www.onlinemetals.com/ before, but have always
ended up finding the product locally instead. You may want to give them a look.

Inch and a quarter stainless, even in thin wall, isn't going to be cheap in the quantities you're looking for, Bruce.

Having said that.... Look at Metals Supermarket online if you don't have a metals shop handy. Far from the cheapest, but an awfully wide selection.

What gauge am i looking for? 11, 14, or 16???

That depends. 16 ga has a wall thickness of 1/16". I believe that would match the dimension of the old steel frames. I used 10 ga on mine because I didn't want to through bolt and nut or use plastic push pins. I tapped and threaded for all the fasteners. That being said, you might get away with tapping and threading the 16 ga steel, but I would be afraid of stripping the threads out of the holes.

With the 10 ga wall on mine, I had to trim the plastic ribs that hold the plastic end caps that I used for the bottom of the legs that don't have casters. I don't know if you can trim the casters to make them fit.

Gerry

That is 1x. Mine was 1 1/4 square for the top and legs. The bottom cross pieces were 1". Not to say you can't build the whole frame out of 1", but you may have to plan on making adjustments to make the control panel fit as well as the propane tank holder.

Gerry

I only need the two bottom cross pieces to replace the bottom tray of my platinum B.

I have had luck with McMaster Carr. For the firebox N/S tube I've used Low-Carbon Steel Square Tube, 0.060" thick, 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" outside size. It runs $24.22 at 6 feet BEFORE shipping. The 1" runs $17.98.

GIvCcTB.jpg

X8U9E6f.jpg

One piece of that will cut into two pieces that will make the horizontal frame pieces for the Platinum. Looks like a reasonable solution as long as you have the ability to cleanly cut the stainless.

For a precision cut I can't think of anything better than a good metal cutting band saw, or band saw with metal cutting blade. I have a Milwaukee sawzall that would do the job but I'm not sure how precision it would be. Maybe that's in my hands and somebody skilled could use it precisely. with that said I'm wondering if something like this with a metal cutting blade could work for you?

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-amp...MIqfms6qmw4gIVh6DsCh3fRQoyEAQYASABEgKOAfD_BwE

You could get a metal cutting blade for a miter saw but my knowledge of metal cutting blades for those is that they are like the ones on angle grinders. If it's just cleaning up after the cut that you're worried about, you could alwaysif it's just cleaning up after the cut that you're worried about, you could always cut it with your angle grinder and then clean it up on a wire wheel. I'm just throwing things out there trying to come up with a solution.

What exactly do you mean by clean cut?

Jason. I would like a nice even clean 90 degree "Clean cut" on the end. That won't work with a hand held cutting tool like an angle grinder or hack saw.

While you probably can get a metal blade for your 10" miter saw, it's going to throw a lot of sparks. And be very noisy.

A recip saw may work, but you would need a good blade and be careful to keep it square.

If all you're left with is a small angle grinder, scribe all 4 sides with an engraving stylus, cut it just a hair longer, then grind the end back to your scribe mark.

Back