Buff Vinegar Marks off Enamel Lid

Greg Chris H

Heartbroken.

First time using my new Genesis grill with black enamel lid some of my basting spray got onto the lid, and immediately caused marks on the otherwise pristine black lid.

The spray contained apple cider vinegar, didn't mean to spray it, pressure built up in the bottle and it just spritzed out.

Anyway, it's completely new and beautiful otherwise, I would love to be able up buff out the marks, or wax it, etc.

The marks won't wash out with soap.

Any suggestions?

I assume that is a brand new grill? I also assume that they still coat them with porcelain. If so, grab some good cleaner like Simple Green and some #0000 steel wool and clean it off.

I assume that is a brand new grill? I also assume that they still coat them with porcelain. If so, grab some good cleaner like Simple Green and some #0000 steel wool and clean it off.

My suggestion as well. I am hard pressed to believe that vinegar could do something to porcelain that can't be removed. If not, I would make a warranty claim.

Jon, my guess is that it just "burned" on to the lid and the OP is afraid to try to remove it with anything but a soft cloth and some dawn dish soap. I cannot vouch for the latest Weber lids, but the enamel on the older ones is amazingly robust. It is as hard as the older Correl dinnerware.

Yeah vinegar should not touch porcelain. If it did either the porcelain is defective or not porcelain at all

Does anyone have a grill with a similar lid? Should I expect that a 2019 Genesis 2 is of the same quality as grills sold in the past?

The owners manual recommends cleaning "porcelain enameled lids" with "warm soapy water and paper towels" and specifically mentions to never use "abrasive cleaning pads" or "cleansers containing acid" on any components.

I have a healthy history of destroying the appearance of expensive new appliances from historically reliable brands by cleaning them too harshly (read: using anything other than paper towels and soap). I'm a little leery of voiding my warranty and/or causing further destruction for wanting to remove a spattering of spots of my lid.

I'll probably end up living with it, hopefully whatever is under the porcelain doesn't rust or bubble or otherwise self- destruct because of a surface flaw.

Anyone use wax of some kind to keep it protected?

I agree with Larry if 0000 steel wool, which will not hurt porcelain, and Simple Green don’t solve your problem.

And, yes, waxing the outside of your grill will make it shine and afford a modest amount of protection while making it easier to clean.

Back