I give up on this idea...

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Some of you may have seen some of my saga posts about my Snap-On fiasco. Spent $100 on what turned out to be a rusty hulk (don't buy a grill in a hurry at night:().

VzquTIG.jpg

So, I tried to cut my losses, junking everything but the special Snap-On tool box looking front parts, the logo, a regulator and maybe a few other parts.

3UJmcHL.jpg

My new idea was to cut these parts to fit on the doors of a ~2008 Spirit that underneath is really still a 3-burner Genesis.

G8oLg9H.jpg

Seemed like a good salvage plan. Surely a WEBER Snap On would be worth something???? Saturday I started examining the parts and what it was going to take. A LOT of metal work. The fronts are all welded on and of course not the same dimensions as the doors. I could see having to wind up paying for some of the metal to be cut precisely. I put the parts back in my "Weber graveyard shed" and pondered my situation yesterday evening. Then, today, led there by a link from an unrelated post here, I came across this listing on FB Marketplace right here in my own little town of Hobe Sound and asking just $250 for a working grill PLUS a built-in fridge:

c96OtPP.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/821096088256420/

OK, it's not a Weber and it's not perfect. But, I don't think I can come up with something that would appeal much more to a dedicated Snap-On person than what this seller is offering. And to get there would take many hours of work and probably more $. Ughh!!!:mad:

I think it is time to completely cut my losses and just fix up and re-sell the Spirit. Easy to redo since I have so many Genesis parts already on hand. And, Spirits are selling pretty briskly in this area - even not well restored. I will keep my Snap-On logo (oh, and the Snap-On apron I was going to throw in as an enticement:() to remind myself not to fall prey for this kind of stupid thing again.

p.s. Anyone want to buy a brand-new Snap-On apron for $20?

QD7EkBS.jpg

Last edited:
When you first got that I thought you were going to do good with it. I see them from time to time with high asking prices. Here is another one that showed up not long ago by me.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/305418703726229/

But that's before you mentioned how cheap the materials were. I still find it ridiculous snapon would put their name on such garbage. But then again, I've always thought they changed too much for what you get. And because of your ordeal I have lost a lot of respect for Snapon.

Jon, I had been looking forward to seeing where that project was going to go, but I always thought it was going to be a lot more complicated and involved than what you seemed to think. I think you are best to cut the losses and refurb the Spirit and try to get out of it clean. That spirit looks like a solid rehab candidate.

Jason,

Yeah, that is the exact same model I got. Not nearly as rusted out, but you can see that even in California it is starting to deteriorate. They definitely put the Snap-On name on a grill with bling but no build quality. I doubt that seller will get much action. I though the Snap-On tie-in would really bring them running, but I have seen several for sale nearby at lower and lower prices. This $250 one right next door sinks it for me. How can I compete with that and still get just my cost out? Can't. So, better to capitalize on the good deal I got on the Spirit and move it out for a profit, and lot less labor, and forget the Snap-On disaster.

My crazy ideas do cost me some real $ sometimes...I am finally - I hope - learning some lessons. I don't think you can go way wrong with a decent Weber as long as you have access to tools and maybe some leftover parts. The TEC grill I got for $100 was an easy winner/exception, and I would do another Broilmaster if the price and distance was right, but most of the time these other brands will just lead you into traps. Hope to get going on my Lynx in the coming month or so. THAT will be interesting, for sure...

Recently saw someone selling one of those dual lid SnapOn rust buckets (but brand new) was asking $2300 (yes you read that right). The ad was not up for ling BTW

Back