Restoring Thermoset Tray Tables

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I had a young helper Saturday, and we did several repairs along with a big push on an '05 or so Spirit. This Spirit has the last version thermoset tray tables with the speckled look. I also have a Weber Platinum One-Touch with the twin oval thermoset tables. (Some call this the "platypus." Most apparently don't like them because the design was short-lived, but it is a personal favorite of mine.

So, I had my young helper try out the method advocated on the Weber Kettle Club pages for restoring thermoset Performer tops. Basically, you are sanding off a layer to reveal plastic that hasn't been faded out by the sun and hard use. Then you coat with 303 Protectant (or food grade mineral oil if you aren't comfortable with that). I was pretty happy with what about three runs with an orbital sander using a medium fine sandpaper disk was able to do:

A0uHjSo.jpg

TTQandF.jpg

These crescent tables from the One-Touch were both basically just a chalky light gray before we started.

Here is a link that tells more:

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2017/02/20/weber-performer-table-restoration/

Jon, I read about that before, but had forgotten all about it. I have some tables that might need some help in that way. Thanks for the reminder.

Back